Some devices won't connect to home wifi.

SpyTek

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
I have searched and found similar threads, but none seem to be specific enough to my issue...

Basically, some devices connect to my wifi just fine, will other devices will not connect. Although every single device I use can see the network.

I'm not sure what information will be useful so I will try to put as much information in as I can think of below.

These devices connect just fine -
Playstation 3
Samsung laptop - Windows 7
Advent laptop - Windows XP
Android phone

These devices will not establish a connection
Samsung laptop - Ubuntu (Although this laptop worked with windows before I installed Ubuntu over it)
Dell laptop - Ubuntu
Kindle Touch
Blackberry phone

I have tried connecting on all devices with both WPA on and with it off. Still the same issue either way.

Also, I have tried all devices on a different network in other houses... All devices connect to other networks.

I have also tried using the same wireless router from a house that the devices worked on, brought it to my house, tried to connect, and then in my house the same devices will not connect.

Now this to me suggests it is possibly something to do with my particular connection. But that's as far as I am, I don't have any ideas where to go from there.

Another possibly useful point... If I plug a device in via ethernet, the internet will then work on that device, and continue to work if I then remove the ethernet cable. It's almost like using a match to spark a lighter into action.

The router I use is Sitecom, but as I say, using the exact same router with the exact same devices, with the exact same settings, nothing changed excep used in a different house, all devices will work.

Cheers for reading

jsmakkar

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Interesting.
You said Ubuntu Laptops, Kindle Touch and BB work on a wireless router in some other house but when you bring the same router to your own house, these devices fail to connect.
You tried everything already.
Just a thought - did you try connecting the devices one at a time. I mean there might be some sort of restriction on number of devices you could connect at one time. Restriction in modem/router or at backend with service provider. I know that won't be the case but sharing a thought since nothing is working.

SpyTek

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I've tried connecting in various different orders and various times of day. The issue has been going on for a good couple of years, but only just now has it started bothering me really as the Kindle is new and it's something that I want to connect more than most devices.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
It sounds pretty odd to me that the same devices that connected to a router in another house did not connect at your place.

What is your setup exactly?
Do you have a modem (provided by ISP) and a separate router device connected to it for wifi?
Do you have a Modem/Router device that does both jobs (gateway and router)?

One thing I can think of (with the info provided) is maybe the channel your router is transmitting on. It is possible that some devices don't connect to certain wifi channels due to regulations of the country they originate.
Try switching channels, don't set to "Auto" or first/last channels, try 5 or 6.

Give that a go and get back with info on your setup also router model no.

SpyTek

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
I have an ISP provided modem, with a wireless router connected to that for the wifi.

The wireless router is a Sitecom WL-607 v1

I'm not at home right now so I can't test it out just yet, but I will give the different channels a try when I can, thanks.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Does your modem also have a DHCP server on it?
Is DHCP running on both modem and router?
Are there security settings set up on both devices?
Are there routing settings set up on both (NAT etc.)?

Tarek Assem

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014

Well I know this one is old enough, but thanks ngrego for your answer.
I had the same problem and everything was fixed after changing my channel.

teddy1

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015
I found that when I changed my router's wifi channel to 12, 13 or 14, some devices could not detect the wifi from my router. If your wifi channel is set to auto (as default), it will sometimes change itself to these channels and then some devices cannot connect to your wifi. Therefore, it is better to change it to either channel 1, 6 or 11 as advised by other people on the internet. How to change? Go to the wireless setting of your router.

Cullend

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015

teddy1

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015
Have you tried setting the wireless channel to 1, 6 or 11?