Some questions about the Wii before I buy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
That looks like an excellent collection of games. One note though, Super paper mario is for the wii, Paper mario is for the N64. Paper Mario 2 is for the gamecube.

You can buy paper mario on the virtual console however. I did, and I didn't regret it.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006

Personally, I think Metroid Prime 1 is one of the most overrated titles of all time. I hated it. Then again, I know a lot of people who think Killer7 is horrible, but to hell with them ;) I'm going to start work on Okami for the Wii today, so I should have more on that soon.

I firmly believe that RE4 for the Wii is the definitive edition. The controls for the GameCube (aiming with that tiny thumbstick) was really the only flaw for me with the original version, but the Wii Remote targeting system solved that issue brilliantly. If I ever get around to writing a full review of it, I'd give it a 10 out of 10, no question. And yes, there is such thing as a 10 out of 10: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/99450-13-perfect-score-game-worthy

i_hate_flying

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006

Thanks for clearing that up. The naming conventions are worse than the Intel family of processors.

I think I've got the N64 Paper Mario ROM lying around here somewhere, I should check that out first before I splurge for the Wii version. Heard it was great, nevertheless.

i_hate_flying

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006

I'll take that under advisement. Do the sequels all flow together? Or can I skip straight to 3 and start playing? I was watching the 17 minute review on Gamestop and it didn't look like much to me. I mean, a Metroid FPS. But the guy kept saying "I know it looks stupid, but it's soooo not", which sort of convinced me since I really thought it was stupid. :)

I think in my next life I want to be a video game reviewer.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006

Well, I didn't get very far in MP1 and didn't play any of MP2, yet I played all of Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and enjoyed it quite a bit -- mostly because of the sick gameplay and awesome Wii remote targeting, which was a vast improvement over the awful, awful controls of MP1. The story for Corruption has some ties to the previous games, but I didn't have any problem following the plot. Good game, but sadly no multiplayer, which would have been sweet...

http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2007/09/11/metroid_prime_3_review/

i_hate_flying

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
I just checked prices at an online discount electronics shop here in Norway.

A Wii here costs 519$US and Zelda Twilight Princess costs 110$US. That is just insane. No wonder piracy for personal use carries no penalty and isn't punishable here!

Oh Snap

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
Resident Evil 4: I'd go with the Wii edition -- the controls make a near-perfect GameCube game into a flawless 10 out of 10.
WHAAAAAT? Resident Evil for gamecube was one of the worst games I've played.

patater

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007

yeah, he does win. but then again, im going to do 6-8 mo out on the ocean working 14-16 hr days 8 days a week. now that is awesome!! who in their right mind would do such a thing??

patater

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
oh also, me and my buddies from school went in search for a wii for three weeks. we went back the NEXT DAY and walmart had 6!!!! all of us bought one. my wife even digs the sports that came with it. i had to get mario kart and another controller, and i lost my charger stand with batteries...i think my buddy took it and said it wasnt in his truck..what a tool! maybe he has it in his hotel room and i can get it tomorrow.

i_hate_flying

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
If I want to play Gamecube games on the Wii, do I need a Gamecube memory card? Or is the SD card used for the Wii enough?

I know that I need the GC controller.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006

The SD card is fine. The only game I played on the Wii for the first few months was Resident Evil 4 (GameCube version), and then it was on to Eternal Darkness.

i_hate_flying

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
Another question for you guys: I'm going to pick up Zelda: Twilight Princess. I've read that it's really a Gamecube game graphics-wise. But what most people are saying is that after playing it on the Wii and spending a couple of hours getting used to the controls, they can't imagine playing this on the Gamecube with a standard controller again.

Any feelings about that?

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
It did a good job of utilizing the wiimote without overusing it. I'd definitely get the wii version over the game cube version.

As a side note... The developers did something kind of strange with the port. The wii version is flipped 180 degrees from the game cube version. The whole world is backwards effectively. Its something that won't make any difference in gameplay but could really disorient you if you are switching from playing one to playing the other. Kind of cool really.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006

I played Twilight Princess on the Wii and actually enjoyed the controls quite a bit. I never felt like the Wii Remote actions were being forced on the gameplay (which is a frequent complaint of mine for PS3 games and the SIXAXIS motion). And I actually loved the graphics -- nothing too fancy but they had style.

My chief complaints about the game are simple: 1) it starts slow. Very Slow. 2) the presentation felt very dated (i.e., no voice acting, child-like characters, long subtitles, etc.) but then again those are classic Zelda elements and I'm not much of a Zelda traditionalist. 3) aside from the wolf aspect, the story seemed rather boring and made the game feel like it was just wandering aimlessly. I kind of lost interest in what was happening halfway or two thirds of the way through, and ultimately felt like the story was getting in the way of the gameplay. And for the record, I liked Twilight Princess but the fact that it scored so many perfect 10s (go check out Metacritic) really threw me for a loop. Not a bad game, just a supremely overrated one.

i_hate_flying

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006

That's just bizarre! Makes me want to play the GC version at least once.

I know what you mean. I've always liked Zelda, but I thought it would grow up as I grew up. Not so. It's not much fun to play child-like characters now. I hope I can finish this one, however. I'm maybe 75% of the way through Majora's Mask and I still haven't finished it. One day.

Thank you for the responses.

i_hate_flying

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
Oh, I have another question. This time about the batteries that go into the Wiimotes. Are they regular rechargeable AA batteries, or a battery pack of some kind? I'm in the process of ordering some rechargeable batteries for other purposes from my favourite distributor and I would like to add something for the Wii, if it's something they have.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
If you want rechargeable batteries, go with the recharging stands. They come with the rechargeable batteries and they make for really handy places to keep the wiimotes. Not terribly expensive either.

I think they just had AAs in them before I put in the battery packs from the chargers.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Also we left one wiimote off of the charger for a week or so and it was still working fine. I don't know how long they will go without needing charging because we usually dock them when we are done, but it is decently long.

physx7

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007

Have ever played Ocarina of Time?

i_hate_flying

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006

Okay, that sounds good. I'll have to look and see if they sell these things in Europe, however. I'm not going to buy the 110V version in the States and use a voltage converter over here. These converters never get the voltage entirely right, and we all know that rechargeable batteries have the propensity to explode. I don't want to play around with that.

By the way, I bought some batteries a couple of years back that have blown me away over and over again. I use them for everything now. They last FOREVER, I get around 700 pictures with my camera per charge. I take a lot of photos, but sometimes I can take 700 pictures over several months. These things just don't discharge like ordinary rechargeable batteries, they keep working where they left off. The recharge time is fast, if that even matters. I'll give you guys the link to them and the place I bought them from. Very friendly folks there.

http://thomasdistributing.com/maha_2700_rechargeable_batteries.php

I suspect that the life of the batteries is also prolonged by the charger I have. It's simple looking, yet superior in every way. It's the MAHA MH-C204W, you can find it at that same website, if you're interested.

i_hate_flying

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006

Yes I have! I really liked that game but Majora's mask is a bit slower. If these new Zelda games are anything like Ocarina, then I'm really looking forward to digging in.

i_hate_flying

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
Does the Wii take SDHC cards? I'm not sure if I would even need a card with more than 2 Gb, but I could buy a 4 Gb card if necessary. I actually have a 4 Gb SD card that runs at 150x that works on devices incapable of using SDHC that I could always use too. Any advice on how much memory I'll need? I ended up buying one of those 64 Mb memory cards for the PS2 when I bought my console. I never got close to filling it up, it says I still have 40 Mb free.

I'm ordering all my stuff from Newegg right now and wondering if I should throw in an SD card.

I believe that this is my last question :) I think :)

exfileme

Splendid
Gotta agree with Rob on Twilight Princess: it's overrated and I'm having a REALLY hard time keeping my attention focused on it. The whole "platform" gameplay aspect of it turns me off. Don't get me wrong: I love my RPGs, but Twilight Princess is definitely not a 10. I'm beginning to wonder (well actually sometime around hour 25) if those perfect scores were more of an ass-kissing nature than actual, honest viewpoints.

Strangely enough, I'm enjoying Phantom Hourglass on the DS alot more, and it has multiplayer options via Nintendo's Wi-Fi.

Not to pimp myself, but here are my current Wii reviews here on TG:

LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
Mario Kart Wii
Nights: Journey of Dreams
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

Yes Rob, I'm still working on the Twilight Princess review.... ;)