[SOLVED] Some questions and issues with upgrading to an RTX 2070

spencercorbin

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
So I am upgrading from a 1060 gb to a 2070. As far as I am aware the drivers are the same, so I thought it would be all good just swap them and I'd be good to go. However, when I plug my monitor in it begins to flash white, then red, then green, and finally blue before not displaying anything/going to sleep. I have not found any causes for this behavior in my searches. My PSU is 650w which I believe is sufficient while I am using a DVI-DisplayPort adapter I wouldn't think that should be an issue. That made me believe my card was DOA, so I got a replacement.

So, my questions are does anybody know what causes the flashing of those colors? Do I need to uninstall the drivers and then reinstall them? And is 650w good enough for the RTX 2070?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Too few details. Post the full PC specs, please.

The previous card could've been a lemon - won't know for sure until you get the replacement.

'650w psu' doesn't mean anything. Quality > quantity. Make and model of this unit? How long have you had it?
The 2070 pulls ~45% more power on average over the 1060. Perhaps that was just enough to make your psu cry?

The old 1060 works without issue?

spencercorbin

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Right, more specs.
i7-6700k
Asus Z170-a
EVGA 650w psu (I believe the 80+ gold version)
Monitor Qnix 2710

I've had the psu since I've built the computer so it's around 3 years old or so.

1060 works just fine when I pop it back in.

spencercorbin

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
I've heard that before and maybe that's what I need to do. I just thought because the old card and the new card use the same drivers that it wouldn't matter. Also, would that explain the flashing of the colors on my monitor?

spencercorbin

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Well in case anyone is curious I got a new card, did the ddu thing and I’m still having the same issues. So my guess is it’s either the power supply or my monitor. The power supply seems like it should be plenty so my money is on my monitor but I really don’t know.