Question Something Detached From My Motherboard

CaptainCanoy

Reputable
Nov 4, 2020
Hello, Average PC User here. Last time I used my PC is yesterday before it malfunctioned badly. Got a blue screen of death after a few second of starting in my Windows 10. Showed some stop code: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR.
Then I searched this on internet and it says I have some hardware issues on my PC. Checked it, RAM is okay, HDD too. Then I try to remove the CMOS battery and put in back in after a few seconds. It worked!!! For a minute, it showed the fricking BSOD error again with the same stop code. I thought if I cleaned up my motherboard it will work again. I cleaned it with a brush. Then swiped slowly and carefully of the motherboard and then something little piece fell. I don't know if it's just dirt but something is written on the piece, "4R7". I was like "Oh Sh*t I'm done". My heart fell when I saw the Piece that is the part of the motherboard then tried to find where it got removed from it's place. It's was connected nearby to Atheros Lan Chip. I thought it's still gonna work after it got removed. Put all the parts back in, pressed the power button then BAM!! It lights up for a few seconds then closes after. Checked the Back I/O of my motherboard and the LAN Port lights up even when the power is off. I wanna say the board is KIA
but I don't wanna accept that.

THE QUESTION: Is it possible to put a new 4R7 in the motherboard? And I don't know what is that 4R7 thing is. What is the purpose of that and can it be fixed?

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
That "4R7" is a SMD resistor. It's probable that you had damaged something else on the board as well, if you managed to brush off a SMD resistor.

Repair might be possible, but may cost more than a straight replacement, depending on where you live. Hopefully nothing else was damanged when you powered it back on.

As an aside, I think LAN port still lighted up when powered down is normal for some wake-on-LAN setups, albeit this is probably irrelevant to this case.

CaptainCanoy

Reputable
Nov 4, 2020
That "4R7" is a SMD resistor. It's probable that you had damaged something else on the board as well, if you managed to brush off a SMD resistor.

Repair might be possible, but may cost more than a straight replacement, depending on where you live. Hopefully nothing else was damanged when you powered it back on.

As an aside, I think LAN port still lighted up when powered down is normal for some wake-on-LAN setups, albeit this is probably irrelevant to this case.
Thanks for answering this fast, I can fix this by myself but don’t know what kind of size is this SMD Resistor because I searched this on my online shopping but there’s a lot of size differential on every 4R7 SMD Resistor. Which one should I pick?

I forgot, my motherboard is ECS H61H2-M17.

And this SMD Resistor is placed very tight beside many diodes so I think I need a pointy soldering iron for this operation.

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
Thanks for answering this fast, I can fix this by myself but don’t know what kind of size is this SMD Resistor because I searched this on my online shopping but there’s a lot of size differential on every 4R7 SMD Resistor. Which one should I pick?

I forgot, my motherboard is ECS H61H2-M17.

And this SMD Resistor is placed very tight beside many diodes so I think I need a pointy soldering iron for this operation.
I'd advice you to share a photo of the broken SMD and the part of the motherboard it came out from.

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
Looks more like its burned because of the darkness on the pads (Maybe the photo got wrong.)

Its easy to solder in that area, but I would recommend you to consult someone skilled in this type of work, since it can be destroyed even further.

CaptainCanoy

Reputable
Nov 4, 2020
Looks more like its burned because of the darkness on the pads (Maybe the photo got wrong.)

Its easy to solder in that area, but I would recommend you to consult someone skilled in this type of work, since it can be destroyed even further.
Thanks but can the PC still work even though this got removed in the motherboard?

CaptainCanoy

Reputable
Nov 4, 2020
No. The system CAN work but it can get damaged too.
It isn't worth the risk to try and run it. You can damage other expensive components too.
Okay thanks for that advice. So this SMC Inductor looks black. They said on reddit that it looks burned or not because of the picture angle I caught. But this 4R7 is Black. So does that mean it got burned?

Okay thanks for that advice. So this SMC Inductor looks black. They said on reddit that it looks burned or not because of the picture angle I caught. But this 4R7 is Black. So does that mean it got burned?
i don't think it is 'burned' or overheated. The black color is typicl of some solder resists used on surface mount devices.

Inductors are usually in series with a signal or voltage so missing that means something's not going to work. Being so close to the chip the logical thing would be your ethernet port. You might try disabling the LAN port in BIOS to see if your motherboard still functions properly. If it does you'll have to buy an add-in ethernet card. You can also use a USB ethernet adapter and give up a lot of speed but it's cheaper....and will help immensely to stay within data caps.

If you've a multi-meter you can try testing across the leads (solder pads) for continuity. That won't say it's inductance value is correct but it should be some relatively low resistance at DC. If an open you'll know it's bad. Frankly, it looks like the end caps of the device are still embedded in the solder on the board so I think it's physically broken and not useable.

But if by some miracle it's not open, soldering it back on may be possible but tricky and definitely needs a fine tipped soldering iron.

Last edited: