Question Something is interfering with my WiFi connection on my laptop

Mar 23, 2024
Hey guys, this is my second time trying to narrow down the issue.

I live in rental place (house bottom floor) my landord live above me and has the WiFi router up there

Laptop specs:
  • It's a gaming laptop AORUS 7KB
  • CPU Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.6GHz
  • OS Windows 11 Latest update (with copilot), but same issue was in previous version of win 11
  • RAM 16GB
  • GPU RTX 2060 and also Integrated Intel UHD Graphics
  • 2 SSD's 512GB SX8200PNP-512GT-S (original) and 1TB Crucial CT1000P1SSD8 (added myself)
Connection details:
  • SSID: Telenor1091bla
  • Protocol: Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac)
  • Security type: WPA2-Personal
  • Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
  • Description: Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz
  • Driver version: 22.20.0.6
  • Network band: 5 GHz
  • Network channel: 104 Link speed
  • (Receive/Transmit): 650/468 (Mbps)
Before we go down I just want to tell you how I measure slow downs.

I use ping google.com -t and watch for ping usually i get it 16ms if everything is normal.

So far what I've discovered is that when my laptop is plugged in and my dedicated GPU doesn't perform any heavy work WiFi works fine, but when I open any game that requires some heavier GPU work (like MSFS2020) my ping jumps up to **1000ms** and more then eventually I get request time out.

Now if while the game is running and I unplug the charger then I immediately see ping go back to 16ms and it doesn't even fluctuate 99% of time ping comes back 16ms.

Few more things that I noticed:

• I tried is to share my mobile internet from my phone to my laptop via android hotspot and both times while plugged in and unplugged it worked fine while game was on
  • I tried over LAN cable also didn't have any issues while plugged in and unplugged
  • Also weirdly enough I tried above actions in a different house hold and I didn't have any issues with WiFi
My questions
  • Can this be issue with this WiFi router and something in my laptop not being compatible hence the interference?
  • Is there anything I can do to further investigate and find the culprit?
  • And obvious one how to fix it?

Last edited:
  • I tried over LAN cable also didn't have any issues while plugged in and unplugged
Is there any reason why you can't use lan cable all of the time? You could also try using the free WiFi Analyzer from the Windows Store to see how much traffic there is on the wifi channel that you're using and the signal strength of other users in your neighborhood. If your landlord has set the router to Auto channel selection perhaps asking them to manually set it to a less used channel might help. Other than that there might be a remote possibility the your laptop charger is emitting EFI interference which interferes with your landlord's specific router or some sort of reaction between the charger and house electrical system which interferes with wifi reception.

Reactions: PEnns
Mar 23, 2024
Is there any reason why you can't use lan cable all of the time? You could also try using the free WiFi Analyzer from the Windows Store to see how much traffic there is on the wifi channel that you're using and the signal strength of other users in your neighborhood. If your landlord has set the router to Auto channel selection perhaps asking them to manually set it to a less used channel might help. Other than that there might be a remote possibility the your laptop charger is emitting EFI interference which interferes with your landlord's specific router or some sort of reaction between the charger and house electrical system which interferes with wifi reception.
I was thinking about using LAN cable but it doesnt reach to the room where im using my laptop, sometimes when i sit in living room i connect LAN cable but i dont do that everyday because my desk and chair is in another room. Maybe i'll look into extending that cable if no solution will be found. I dont think it's traffic issue because it seems to be related whether to my dedicated GPU's usage if i open GPU intensive game while plugged in then WiFi problems appear if I unplug laptop then WiFi issues dissapear but games FPS drops to 5 because GPU doesn't get enough power on battery. That EFI interference that you mentioned is it possible that its only interfering with my landlords specific router? Because I tried replicating this issue over in my aunts house but I coudn't WiFi worked flawlessly.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Which network protocol are you connecting with (2.4 or 5GHz)? It could be RF/EMF interference from poorly shielded devices in your local area. Maybe your landlord has the router sitting on top of the kitchen microwave :) 5GHz band is less susceptible to interference, but also less tolerant to distance and obstructions. And if the problem follows you around, then interference might be coming from a poorly shielded component (e.g. your power brick).

Last edited:
Reactions: PEnns
Mar 23, 2024
Which network protocol are you connecting with (2.4 or 5GHz)? It could be RF/EMF interference from poorly shielded devices in your local area. Maybe your landlord has the router sitting on top of the kitchen microwave :) 5GHz band is less susceptible to interference, but also less tolerant to distance and obstructions. And if the problem follows you around, then interference might be coming from a poorly shielded component (e.g. your power brick).
5Ghz, i also mentioned that this doesnt happen in aunts house so is poorly shielded power brick theory still plausible in that case?

Ralston18

Titan
Also, if I understand correctly, you change between WiFi and LAN cable depending on where you are using the laptop: living room versus desk & chair room.

Are you certain that only one network adapter (either WiFi or LAN) is enabled on the laptop at any given time?

Not both adapters at the same time.

Just one network adapter.

On the laptop run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Copy and paste the results here.

Mar 23, 2024
Also, if I understand correctly, you change between WiFi and LAN cable depending on where you are using the laptop: living room versus desk & chair room.

Are you certain that only one network adapter (either WiFi or LAN) is enabled on the laptop at any given time?

Not both adapters at the same time.

Just one network adapter.

On the laptop run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Copy and paste the results here.
Yes sometimes i do change between WiFi and LAN and I'm not sure if only 1 network adapter is enabled so here is ipconfig/all result
Code:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-GA0FLIF
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 80-FA-5B-83-21-F3
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter vEthernet (WSLCore):

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-5D-4E-CC-88
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::fa99:cd25:c56f:908d%68(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.30.208.1(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.240.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 1140856157
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-27-F9-7A-57-80-FA-5B-83-21-F3
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 3:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TAP-NordVPN Windows Adapter V9
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-11-D0-B5-0D

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 5:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 0A-00-27-00-00-12
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::91bc:4fcc:d32f:77dd%18(Preferred)
   Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.251.123(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 386531367

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : B8-9A-2A-DB-17-CC

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : home
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : B8-9A-2A-DB-17-CB
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:464a:648d:0:1d91:35a9:b23f:cc93(Preferred)
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:464a:648d:0:2d76:77d:a3a9:a6f6(Preferred)
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, 23 March 2024 8:19:26 PM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, 23 March 2024 11:41:50 PM
   Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2001:464a:648d:0:8449:edb7:ab12:17f7(Preferred)
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::14d1:1f96:1c97:34e2%11(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.24(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, 23 March 2024 8:19:24 PM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, 24 March 2024 12:19:24 AM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::9a77:e7ff:fe85:469c%11
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.138
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 179870250
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:4600:4:1fff::253
                                       2001:4600:4:fff::253
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix Search List :
                                       home

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : B8-9A-2A-DB-17-CF

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Do you need to have Hyper-V installed for your applications? There are a few threads around the web that state its bridge mode can cause slowdowns.

Mar 23, 2024
Do you need to have Hyper-V installed for your applications? There are a few threads around the web that state its bridge mode can cause slowdowns.
I think it's from Virtual Box i have Xubuntu installed there i was using it as my coding enviroment for my course. How do i switch it off ? then i can test if it fixes the problem

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
I think it's from Virtual Box i have Xubuntu installed there i was using it as my coding enviroment for my course. How do i switch it off ? then i can test if it fixes the problem
AFAIK Hyper-V and VirtualBox are two separate VM platforms. So turning it off shouldn't impact your VirtualBox setup.

Mar 23, 2024
AFAIK Hyper-V and VirtualBox are two separate VM platforms. So turning it off shouldn't impact your VirtualBox setup.
Oh yeah i remeber now, i think my virtual box was laggy without it, but i can try to switch it off. Is it possible to do it from device manager just to disable network adapter or i need to go to BIOS to see difference?

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Oh yeah i remeber now, i think my virtual box was laggy without it, but i can try to switch it off. Is it possible to do it from device manager just to disable network adapter or i need to go to BIOS to see difference?

BIOS setting is about VT-d VT-x hardware feature of the CPU. Hyper-V and VMware requires it, but VirtualBox seems doesn't?

Not sure since I use VMware most of the time.

Mar 23, 2024
Do you happen to know the make and model of the landlord's router?

I have some questions regarding "ipconfig"l but will hold until the current discussion is completed.
unfortunately i dont know the make and model of landlord's router, all i know is that provider is telenor here in norway

Mar 23, 2024
If you open "This PC" then click on "Network" it should tell you what devices are connected to the local area, including the landlord's router.
im using windows 11 i suppose you refer to This PC in file explorer where my drivers are? over there i dont see any network to click on