[SOLVED] Sound card issues

ThatTonybo

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
I have a Razer Barracuda AC-1 sound card that's playing up. I used it in the past and it was awesome, but recently restated my rig (fresh XP install) and now I can't get sound out of it.

I've used old and new copies of the ac-1 drivers, done another fresh install and even tried Vista. The sound bars in the controller and mixer show up but no actual sound happens.

What's up? Do I have to replace it with a new sound card? (I really don't want to because I love this card and I don't want another)

Solution
Try checking this detail. You have not told us what mobo you have, but MANY have their own audio output chip on the mobo. If yours does, it is likely that, when Windows installed itself, it found that chip and loaded its device drivers, and then set Windows to use the mobo audio output system, ignoring the added audio card. Even if you later added the drivers for the card, that still might not put it to use.

The trick is that, no matter how many ways your system has for audio output, Windows can use only one at a time. From the Start icon at bottom left, go into Control Panel and choose Sounds. The little window should have three sections for selecting the Default Sound Playback Device, the Default Sound Recording Deivce, and the MIDI...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Try checking this detail. You have not told us what mobo you have, but MANY have their own audio output chip on the mobo. If yours does, it is likely that, when Windows installed itself, it found that chip and loaded its device drivers, and then set Windows to use the mobo audio output system, ignoring the added audio card. Even if you later added the drivers for the card, that still might not put it to use.

The trick is that, no matter how many ways your system has for audio output, Windows can use only one at a time. From the Start icon at bottom left, go into Control Panel and choose Sounds. The little window should have three sections for selecting the Default Sound Playback Device, the Default Sound Recording Deivce, and the MIDI device. Each should have a small drop-down chooser box with an arrow. In the Default Sound Playback Device section, click on the down-arrow to see ALL of the possible devices, and I bet the Realtek device on your mobo is pre-selected. Choose your added Razer card instead and back out. IF you use the mic input jack of the Razer card for your mic, then use the Default Sound Recording Device section to set that for the Razer card also. Back out all the way and try your sound system.

Solution

ThatTonybo

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019

The trick is that, no matter how many ways your system has for audio output, Windows can use only one at a time. From the Start icon at bottom left, go into Control Panel and choose Sounds. The little window should have three sections for selecting the Default Sound Playback Device, the Default Sound Recording Deivce, and the MIDI device. Each should have a small drop-down chooser box with an arrow. In the Default Sound Playback Device section, click on the down-arrow to see ALL of the possible devices, and I bet the Realtek device on your mobo is pre-selected. Choose your added Razer card instead and back out. IF you use the mic input jack of the Razer card for your mic, then use the Default Sound Recording Device section to set that for the Razer card also. Back out all the way and try your sound system.
It's set as the sound card not the motherboard audio. Sorry for being light on details; the motherboard is an Asus P5W DH Deluxe.

Currently at the hospital sorry but I'll try those regardless soon.