It started this morning with a Trojan horse. That was picked up by Spybot
S&D, then I ran Adaware, and made sure AVG was updated and ran that.
Interestingly, AVG did NOT pick up the Trojan. Spybot and Ad Aware both did.
I don't trust AVG any more! Got rid of the Trojan (I think!) Then I went to
the security center, and it says Virus Protection OFF. No matter what I've
tried, nothing will turn it back on. It has always shown to be ON even with
AVG, which I've had for years. It's like the Trojan hijacked the security
center, whacked out my AVG, and turned off virus protection. HOW do I turn
it back on?? I've tried EVERYTHING I can think of!

Thanks for any advice.

Uninstall and reinstall AVG.
But if you truly no longer trust AVG, it may be time to switch.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"reddirtgirl" <reddirtgirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It started this morning with a Trojan horse. That was picked up by Spybot
> S&D, then I ran Adaware, and made sure AVG was updated and ran that.
> Interestingly, AVG did NOT pick up the Trojan. Spybot and Ad Aware both
> did.
> I don't trust AVG any more! Got rid of the Trojan (I think!) Then I went
> the security center, and it says Virus Protection OFF. No matter what
> I've
> tried, nothing will turn it back on. It has always shown to be ON even
> with
> AVG, which I've had for years. It's like the Trojan hijacked the security
> center, whacked out my AVG, and turned off virus protection. HOW do I
> turn
> it back on?? I've tried EVERYTHING I can think of!
>
> Thanks for any advice.

How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304449

Best Antivirus Program Alternative:

Install Avast! antivirus program (FREE)

Carey Frisch