Speaker and Headset question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony245

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
I just bought a single ear piece headset and when I plug the orange wire into the pc my friend can hear me but i cant hear him through the headset , but when i plug the other wire the green one in the headphone jack I can hear him through the headset and he can hear me but it cuts out the sound of my speakers (corsair sp2500) is their anyway where i can fix this so the headset only plays volume from skype while i can use my speakers to game and everything.. thanks

Solution
Sounds like it is now setup and working correctly, you now need to change settings in applications to use the headset instead of the speakers.

I don't use skype so can't talk you through that, I use Steam and just go into the audio settings and select the headset.

If you now have the playback devices showing correctly (sounds like you do) the only thing that can be wrong is the setting with each application.

Im glad you found my advice usefull.

bumnut53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011

I assume you are plugging the headset into the front ports and speakers in the rear. Can you let me know what OS you are using?

I will assume windows 7 for now, what you need to do is right click the volume icon near the task bar and view playback devices. You should see at least 2, 1 will be labelled speakers, one of the others will be your headset. Set the headset as default communications device.

Depending on your onboard soundcard, it may not be capable of using 2 devices at the same time. If you do not see your headset as a playback device you may need an additional sound card (though realtek sound manager lets you enable the front and rear ports as seperate devices, if the motherboard supports it)

Hope that helps

tony245

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Sorry , I have windows 7 , an asrock p67 extreme 4 gen 3 mobo and I now have them in the back ports on the mobo . When I click on the speaker icon in playback it shows
AMD hdmi output , speakers and realtek digital output which is the realtek hd audio , when i plug in my headset it registers as speakers :( so idk what to do. If i bought an asus xonar dg 5.1 would it fix this ?. speakers are corsair sp2500's btw. thanks

bumnut53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011

Don't buy a soundcard just yet, what you need to do is open the realtek sound console (not sure of exact name) go into the options (a picture of a cog on my friends machine) and tick an option that reads something like "use seperate channels for front and rear audio ports"

That is from memory so im not sure of the exact names of things :)

You should then have an additional device in playback devices.

tony245

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
You were right , I went into the realtek hd audio manager and then clicked use seperate channel for front and rear audio ports and an additinal device shows up in the playback options "reaktej hd audi 2nd output" and it has a picture of my headphones . I currently have my mic plugged into the front ports of my pc's i/o panel and the corsair speakers in the back and My friend hears me but i only hear him through my speakers but if i switch it i hear all of the sound in my headphones and not on my speakers . I have the headset labeled as communication device . But nothings workking... idk why. Thanks for all of the help . But im pretty sure im either missing one last thing or it just will never work . So yeah any ideas ? thanks for all of the help

bumnut53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Sounds like it is now setup and working correctly, you now need to change settings in applications to use the headset instead of the speakers.

I don't use skype so can't talk you through that, I use Steam and just go into the audio settings and select the headset.

If you now have the playback devices showing correctly (sounds like you do) the only thing that can be wrong is the setting with each application.

Im glad you found my advice usefull.

Solution

tony245

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT WORKED THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I went it to skype and changed it so it uses the realtek 2nd device . THANK YOU

Status
Not open for further replies.