Sejersen

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2013
Hey guys,
I recently tried playing Borderlands 2, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and Path Of Exile: Blight. But they all crash my GPU, or atleast that's my guess.
The screen goes dark. As in "searching" for an input device, the sound however continues to play in my headset.

I just ran the new Unigine Benchmark without any errors. I can also play newer games such as CSGO, Diablo 3, Overwatch, Call of Duty: MW (Beta) etc...

The ONLY new thing I have installed was the fall edt. of Win 10 and a new GPU driver through Nvidia Geforce Experience - The one that came with the COD: MW Beta.
These are my specs from dxDiag:

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 18362) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8112MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 970
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Type: Full Device (POST)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13C2&SUBSYS_85081043&REV_A1
Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
Device Problem Code: No Problem
Driver Problem Code: Unknown
Display Memory: 8099 MB
Dedicated Memory: 4043 MB
Shared Memory: 4056 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
HDR Support: Not Supported

Pluggen in: Sirus Headset from CoolerMaster, a Steelseries Sensei Wireless (wired) and a G19 from Logitech.

Usually the only thing I can do, is press the "hard-reset" button.
There are zero reports in the event viewer - Nothing to indicate a computer crash of any sort, which makes me think this is a GPU fault.

Do you have any ideas what could cause these crashes, and possibly how I could fix them?

Thanks in advance!
/Mikkel.

Solution
You could've simply stated your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

How old is the PSU? What other titles have you tried to rule out that the issue is with these three games alone? Mention the BIOS for your motherboard as well. Which drivers for the GPU are you working with?

Lutfij

Titan
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

How old is the PSU? What other titles have you tried to rule out that the issue is with these three games alone? Mention the BIOS for your motherboard as well. Which drivers for the GPU are you working with?

Solution

Sejersen

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2013
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Sorry, I didn't really think about that. I'll try again:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
MB: SaberTooth Z170 Mark 1
RAM: Hyperx 2 x 4gb
SSD: M2 from Asus I think.
(Multiple SSD's for gaming also, all Samsung)
GPU: 970 Asus Strix 8gb.
PSU: 750 gold CM ( I think)

I bought this pc, most of it, used from another guy. So I have no idea really. I do however have another pc here, where the PSU is around 2 years old, which I could swap in.
- Honestly I just play random games at random times, so when I feel like playing something else, I do that. So currently I have just tested those three games faulty.

Bios vers.: 1602
And the GPU Vers. I have installed is: 436.30 (release date: 09/10-2019)

Thanks in advance.

MrNiemo

Reputable
Sep 30, 2016
My 970 was crashing in The Witcher 3 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey with 436.30 and 436.15, it seemed to get more frequent with 436.30. Then I noticed that my gpu was running at near full power at all times in afterburner, and that my fans weren't turning on when they were supposed to...........Maybe there was a problem with my installation or something?, but seeing as I'd been having the crashes since 436.15............I rolled back to 436.02 and it hasn't crashed since, and my fans and power levels seem fine now. shrug

Sejersen

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2013
Thanks for all the replies. As I can see my GPU is running as it should, and fans turn on around the 70 degrees.
- I tried verifying the files for each game too, but nothing changed.

What did work, was changing the PSU. Apparently the guy I bought the pc from had mounted an AX1200 in it. And for some reason, non-optimized games drew too much power or something like that. Because after I put in my own TX750 I can play any game for as long as I like, without any crashes or anything.

But just for good order, I did the following:
  • Upgraded/ downgraded GPU driver version.
  • uninstalled / installed the effected games.
  • Swapped PSU. (This finally did it)

Once again, thanks for bringing all these things to my attention.
Cheers!