[SOLVED] Spikes caused by router

renan_galo2002

Prominent
Jan 22, 2019
Since I changed my internet to a fastest one, my gaming connection got way worse, because of ping spikes.

What I know for certain, the spikes are caused by the router and wireless configurations, using a cable solves this, also my old internet wifi weren't causing spikes like this one, so I've searched for answers still couldn't find one. theres ALOT of configurations on the modem, its Huawei one, are there any config that actually causes lag spike??

Pinging my router/modem I receive a constant 1ms then i get a single response of 89 ms, then back to 1ms. The problem is NOT on my computer or internet.

Solution
Those tools that show bufferbloat are designed to cause it. They pretty much run worst case testing and everyone shows bufferbloat. Bufferbloat is actually a good thing for all traffic other than games which is why ISP do not "fix" it.

It does not matter in your case. First it only happens when you overload your internet connection. It is more a symptom than the actual problem that you are attempting to exceed your internet bandwidth. You do not seem to say you are overloading the internet connection.

Much more important though is you say your problem only happen on wifi. Bufferbloat is related to memory buffers in the ISP router in most cases and has nothing at all to do with wifi in your house.

Any QoS settings are...

renan_galo2002

Prominent
Jan 22, 2019
So after looking out how to fix, turns out my router doens't let me to fix it, it's basically about QoS config, but the router don't let the user change it's config, just a enable /disable button (which obviously doesn't work), but theres a XML config file that I can upload to the router, and I found this line about QoS

<RadioInstance InstanceID="1" SupportedFrequencyBands="2.4GHz" OperatingFrequencyBand="2.4GHz" GuardInterval="400nsec" X_HW_TxChainMask="0" X_HW_RxChainMask="0" Enable="1" Status="Up" Alias="cpe-2.4G" Name="cpe-2.4G" LastChange="0" MaxBitRate="0" AutoChannelSupported="1" X_HW_RatePriority="0" X_HW_SameSSIDStatus="0">
<X_HW_UserTosPriMapWMMQos P0="AC_BE" P1="AC_BK" P2="AC_BK" P3="AC_BE" P4="AC_VI" P5="AC_VI" P6="AC_VO" P7="AC_VO"/>

I'd say the MaxBitRate is my shot, does anyone know this more in dept ?

Those tools that show bufferbloat are designed to cause it. They pretty much run worst case testing and everyone shows bufferbloat. Bufferbloat is actually a good thing for all traffic other than games which is why ISP do not "fix" it.

It does not matter in your case. First it only happens when you overload your internet connection. It is more a symptom than the actual problem that you are attempting to exceed your internet bandwidth. You do not seem to say you are overloading the internet connection.

Much more important though is you say your problem only happen on wifi. Bufferbloat is related to memory buffers in the ISP router in most cases and has nothing at all to do with wifi in your house.

Any QoS settings are related to traffic going to the internet. Your problems are between the router and your end device on wifi. Any so called QoS setting on wifi are for some specialized tv broadcast method over wifi that nobody uses. There is no QoS you can use on the radio signals.

Your problem is likely the fairly common wifi interference issues. Something (like from outside your house) is causing interference on the wifi radio. It causes data errors and data retransmissons. This takes time to do which is why you see the spikes in the ping.

Your only solution is to get rid of the interference which tends to be impossible. Maybe changing the radio channels on the router might work but this is likely temporary since your neighbors may also change channels and cause interference again.

This is why you see everywhere it stated that you should not play online games on wifi. Games unlike almost any other traffic do not tolerate the error correction methods used by wifi.

Solution

renan_galo2002

Prominent
Jan 22, 2019

Any QoS settings are related to traffic going to the internet. Your problems are between the router and your end device on wifi. Any so called QoS setting on wifi are for some specialized tv broadcast method over wifi that nobody uses. There is no QoS you can use on the radio signals.

Your problem is likely the fairly common wifi interference issues. Something (like from outside your house) is causing interference on the wifi radio. It causes data errors and data retransmissons. This takes time to do which is why you see the spikes in the ping.

Your only solution is to get rid of the interference which tends to be impossible. Maybe changing the radio channels on the router might work but this is likely temporary since your neighbors may also change channels and cause interference again.

This is why you see everywhere it stated that you should not play online games on wifi. Games unlike almost any other traffic do not tolerate the error correction methods used by wifi.

I've tested all 13 channels available on my router settings, also I used a tool to detect all frequency to find a good one, theres only 2 other wifis detected and they have different frequency than mine, also as stated before, I have the old wifi still which is 90% slower than my new one, and this wifi runs fine, there's no bufferbloat (tested with same tools).

I still think my problem is bufferbloat, cause everything else was tested. While pinging my own router, I can see alot of MS spikes, even when I load a simple html page, the ping jumps from 2 to 100+, idk how's that possible on a 100 mbps internet, and on my 10 mbps internet I can even download and the ping still stable, there's no other explanation than bad router device, the router that is causing problem is hg8254Q2 , from hauwei.

renan_galo2002

Prominent
Jan 22, 2019
Probably the only solution will be purchasing a new router and make a bridge... I just hope this Hauwei <Mod Edit> router let me do it.

BTW when not using the wifi, the ping from my pc and router is randomly spiked, sometimes it takes 1-2 mins to spike, sometimes more or less..

Last edited by a moderator: