[SOLVED] Spilled water on laptop, still working fine.

Feb 2, 2022
So I recently spilled some water on my laptop. It wasn't too much, but enough to cover half the trackpad and a few of the keys. I immediately wiped it off but did not flip it over and (very stupidly) didn't turn it off. Strangely enough though, it still continued to work, and later testing confirmed it was completely fine. Still, I was scared it could get damaged, so I've had it flipped over in tent position for the last 24 hours. Is it possible it could still be damaged?

Solution
At this point I'd say its fine, I wouldn't worry, if you are afraid you could stick it front of a fan and leave it for a few hours to dry any left over water if any.

I've washed really dirty motherboards in the sink, heck I remember finding a PC years ago for the trash but it was in a ditch that was full of rain water, that system worked, PSU ended up rusting, but didn't hurt it.

If it happens again, shut it down immediately, pull the battery and and sit it where the water can drain, and in front of some moving air and leave it for a few days if you can't take it apart.
At this point I'd say its fine, I wouldn't worry, if you are afraid you could stick it front of a fan and leave it for a few hours to dry any left over water if any.

I've washed really dirty motherboards in the sink, heck I remember finding a PC years ago for the trash but it was in a ditch that was full of rain water, that system worked, PSU ended up rusting, but didn't hurt it.

If it happens again, shut it down immediately, pull the battery and and sit it where the water can drain, and in front of some moving air and leave it for a few days if you can't take it apart.

Solution
Feb 2, 2022

Alright thanks! I'll turn it on today and hope for the best. I might blow dry it on low heat for a bit as well, does that sound like a good idea?

Feb 2, 2022
Update: Laptop is working well! Haven't noticed any issues, still a tiny bit worried though. Another question: would possible corrosion or rust warrant taking apart the laptop (and possibly voiding the warranty)?

Update: Laptop is working well! Haven't noticed any issues, still a tiny bit worried though. Another question: would possible corrosion or rust warrant taking apart the laptop (and possibly voiding the warranty)?
Sorry I didn't see this reply until just now...

Anyway, if its just water, I honestly wouldn't worry too much about corrosion or rust if was dried fast enough, Rust only typically forums on bare metal or if it has some contaminates to accelerate it like salt, if it only got water on it once, it could potently rust a little but it wouldn't spread as its not always getting wet. And from factory I'm sure there is some sort of film over the bear metal areas from manufacturing that would mostly prevent it from happening, plus on the motherboard its protected buy a film anyway, most circuit boards are these days, so its actually pretty well water resistant.

That laptop should still live a normal expected life.