muchdsign

Honorable
Feb 10, 2016
Hey !

So I'm really not into audio tech and hardware, I know the very basics (how to plug a cable lol), but I do enjoy playing the piano.
Now I want to use my piano as a "microphone" to play for my pals on Discord but here's my issue : my keyboard only has one output (3.5 mini-jack). This is the keyboard.

I simply need someone who knows how audio stuff works to tell me if my plan is going to work or not, and since I really don't know how to explain it with words please take a look at this marvelous drawing of mine.

Will I be able to record AND listen simultaneously, will I lose quality, ... ?

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks :))

muchdsign

Honorable
Feb 10, 2016
It's hard to say on every audio system - don't know what it's being connected to specifically and how. The best way to test this is to simply go ahead and test this.
I mean, it's pretty cheap to get all of that but still. I would avoid the unecessary purchase if I can :)
If your PC has an "Line input", it is better to use it instead of the "Mic' input - signal "strength" is quite different between analogue microphone and line output of the piano. You will then need a "Mixer" app on your PC to balance the two inputs (piano and mic).

I was thinking about doing that, my current mic is USB and I do have a mini-jack input on my motherboard for a microphone... Is that going to do me any good ?