Question Spontaneous and Frequent Reboots Possibly Caused by PSU? [PSU Still Works in Another System]

Sep 11, 2024
Hey everyone. About 2 weeks ago, I bought a (barely) used PC set from FB Marketplace from a reputable and trusted builder who's a PC hobbyist. A week later of consistent use (video editing, gaming, and browsing) for more than 6-8 hours a day, I've been experiencing spontaneous reboots with no BSODs at all. It's honestly a mystery and by this point I'm kind of looking for answers.

During low loads (not even in gaming and editing sessions), the computer would turn off, then boot into Windows, I'd be able to log in, and it would die for a couple of minutes or around 1-3 hours. This has happened in various uptimes of the system. Once it happens, the uptimes get shorter and shorter due to the reboots. It even happened in Safe Mode and when I was trying to verify if my RAM is the issue via Windows Memory Diagnostic.

This might be a long post but to give some initial context, here's my specs when I was experiencing the issues:
CPU: Intel Core i5 12600K
CPU Cooler: Themlright Peerless Assassin White aRGB
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO G DDR4
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16 Dual Channel)
SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB & CT1000MX500SSD1 1TB SSD
GPU: ZOTAC GeForce 1070
PSU: Inwin P85 850w Gold Fully Modular
Chassis: Lian Li Lancool 216 with stock 160mm aRGB Fans and 2 more LianLi SL120 fans with a single Thermalright 120mm white aRGB
Monitor: HP Z27n

The parts (except the PSU) were bought and used in November 2023. According to the seller, the PSU was bought firsthand by him on June 2023 and he used it in his personal rig before switching to another PSU after buying a new one. I bought his PC set on August 27

The BIOS version is F27. You can view my BIOS (before and after) switching PSUs here.

I also don't use an UPS. It did crash when using my AVR and I've plugged the PC in a different wall outlet but the reboot still happened.

I also don't overclock (don't know how as well). I've had XMP enabled and disabled but the problems still exist.

Event Viewer showed two consistent errors before and after the PC would shut down:

1. Event ID 56 - Image containing Details can be found here
The description for Event ID 56 from source Application Popup cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

ACPI

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table
Weirdly enough, this seems to be a somewhat common error code among Gigabyte motherboards. There's a number of Reddit posts experiencing boot issues too but most resolutions I've found did the ff:
  • Replaced their PSUs
  • Fixed Cables/reseat them/replaced faulty ones
  • Replaced their MOBOs
Despite replacing my PSU (more about this at the bottom), it still pops out but it hasn't led to any reboots.
2. Kernel-Power (Event ID 41) - Image containing Details can be found here
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

When it first happened, I had the rams reseated, removed the GPU, and the issues persisted. Used another power cord, issues still happened.

A computer technician friend checked up on the PC and suspected that it's a PSU issue as well. He reseated the cables and reinstalled the mobo drivers. We didn't risk updating the BIOS since we were afraid it might happened while the update as well ( a reset happened once even in BIOS). He didn't mention anything about loose cables but he did notice that the CPU cable is connected to the overclocking slot of the motherboard. He connected it back to the normal slot and it worked for about 3 hours but the next morning, it started rebooting again while browsing.

Later that day, he brought his PSU and it worked for more than an hour. No reboots during a stress test with OCCT. My brother suggested using my old system's PSU (a FSP Hexa HE-700) and it has been working for about 3 days now with no dipping of performance or apparent issues. Managed to play for more than 5 hours and edit for about 10 hours. Typing this post as of now too. I plan to do a Memtest later tonight or tomorrow morning.

We decided to test and monitor the InWin P85 PSU in my old system but it hasn't crashed for about 8 hours now (using OCCT) and with a YouTube tab opened- which leads to me making this post. Is it possible that the PSU is still an issue? Or is it more of a motherboard issue by this point? I'm looking for some possible answers just to ensure stability. I'm a video editor and I unfortunately don't have much of a backup device.

Another thing to consider is grounding. My technician friend was kinda weirded out by our house's electricity. He got grounded a bit when it was plugged in and was reseating cables and parts. So that's also a possibility or another factor for the weirdness.

Any information would be helpful. Thanks for reading as well. Have a good day.
---
EDIT 1: Corrected some typos, updated links, and specified RAM
EDIT 2: Clarified a bit more in regards with Event ID 56

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Since a donor PSU solved the issue, it's very likely that your original PSU was the culprit all along. If your home's electrical situation is compromised, bring in a certified electrician and scope out the wiring and your grounding in your abode and your room where the PC resides.

FYI, grounding issues are another killer of parts, not just your PSU. I learned the hard way...after spending a lot of money. Thankfully architecture school taught me a thing or two about electrical wiring(not to mention in Physics) so I was able to get to the bottom of the issue sooner than later.

Reactions: Sefix
Sep 11, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Since a donor PSU solved the issue, it's very likely that your original PSU was the culprit all along. If your home's electrical situation is compromised, bring in a certified electrician and scope out the wiring and your grounding in your abode and your room where the PC resides.

FYI, grounding issues are another killer of parts, not just your PSU. I learned the hard way...after spending a lot of money. Thankfully architecture school taught me a thing or two about electrical wiring(not to mention in Physics) so I was able to get to the bottom of the issue sooner than later.
Thanks for the reply and taking the time to read my post! The forum has been incredibly helpful and it really expanded my knowledge on PC hardware.

I see. I guess I have some more questions if you don't mind me asking since I really want to know more about the way PSUs work and be educated in general.

If the PSU is the culprit, how come has the P85 been working on my old system? Is the constant reboots with the InWin P85 PSU just a symptom of it dying it a bit early with the computer's more demanding components? It's a bit hard to replicate but the guy that sold the PC to me is understanding enough to return it just in case. But just to be sure, I would really like to replicate the issue with my old computer. I tried the OCCT Power test and it managed to get through it yesterday. Might do another run today.

I might get his lesser used Corsair RM850e PSU (2 months old) instead or read around and just buy a brand new unit in the coming months instead.

Thanks for the heads-up with the grounding issues too! I currently have a surge protector for the PC now as of the moment and will definitely look for a UPS next month. If I were to reach out to an electrician, is there a term for me to refer to when I'd bring it up to him?