Question Sporadic appearances from SSD, sometimes fine, sometimes not - time to replace?

Jun 4, 2024
Hi all,

Long time lurker, finally have my own tech issue of which I am seeking wisdom.

Hi all,

Bit of an odd one this evening. Please find the info below from my own notes which may explain the strange formatting. For reference I have x4 SSDs, varying ages, homebuilt PC approaching 8 years with almost no issues the entire time. I can provide any other information required, sending this in a bit of a panic before bed.

I'm quite certain to prepare for the worst and backup anything I need from the offending drive in the meantime. It appears to function normally, guess I carry on until it finally gives out then replace? The drive itself is only storage, luckily not the boot drive.

Windows 10 64bit. 3600x, 6650XT, 32GB DDR4, MSI Tomahawk B450, EVGA 650w (I think), x4 SSDs of varying size

02/06/2024 – 11pm~
  • Shut down desktop PC, nothing unusual.
  • Past few days device has been lagging heavily if alt tabbing any games for around 10 seconds, can be intensive or light game.

03/06/2024 – 5pm~
  • Wake device from Hibernate, gets stuck at MoBo splash, have to hard reset.
  • Device very slowly boots, only 1 monitor. Shut down and reboot – same result
  • Restart device now, all 3 monitors work. Nothing else strange.
  • Attempt to install something 10pm~ “Specific device does not exist”
  • Drive missing in Windows, Device Manager, DiskManagement and BIOS – Appeared briefly in DeviceManager as Unrecognised
  • Discharge Desktop and plug all drives into the next port over (all 4 same slots still in use, have shifted everything 1 to the left)
  • Windows now boots faster (normal speed?)
  • All drives appear in Windows, BIOS, DiskManagement and Device Manager
  • ChkDsk reports 0 errors on all drives
  • CrystalDiskInfo reports all fine
  • Data on offending drive accessible at normal speeds

Solution
Is there anything else I could try?
by now i would just be considering it a malfunctioning drive.

when was it purchased?
if anytime recently check the warranty info and submit a ticket with the manufacturer for RMA.
if it is also part of the system bought ~8 years ago, i'd just replace it.

maybe get a cheap external housing for it and see how it works out as portable USB storage?
  • All drives appear in Windows, BIOS, DiskManagement and Device Manager
  • ChkDsk reports 0 errors on all drives
  • CrystalDiskInfo reports all fine
  • Data on offending drive accessible at normal speeds
so, everything is functioning as it should?

have these same issues occurred previously?
EVGA 650w (I think)
include the specific make & model + the overall time in use.

backup anything I need from the offending drive in the meantime
ALWAYS keep everything important backed-up in at least one separate location, ideally two.
drives fail. and most are surprised how often it actually happens.

Jun 4, 2024
so, everything is functioning as it should?

have these same issues occurred previously?

include the specific make & model + the overall time in use.

ALWAYS keep everything important backed-up in at least one separate location, ideally two.
drives fail. and most are surprised how often it actually happens.
Thank you for the reply.

From my limited check this morning things appear to be working normally. I can have a more in-depth look this evening.

I was able to leave a video file running for 30 minutes without issues, whereas last night I was unable to open anything on the drive. No issues like this in the past.

I find the drive values in CrystalDiskInfo a little odd, there is nothing to suggest the drive is failing. A few forum posts have pointed to possibly the power supply. Would I not encounter other symptoms, or swapping the SATA ports should then affect whichever drive is now in the "faulty" port?

PSU is a Cooler Master B Series V2 600w. I cannot say an exact length of use, around 8 years would be fair.

I am very fortunate to have backups elsewhere. I mostly wanted to see the folder hierarchy so I know roughly what needs replaced/redownloaded from the data I can afford to lose.

EVGA 650w...Cooler Master B Series V2 600w
so, not using an EVGA? or you have since swapped them?

i remember some CM B2 series units.
they were considered dangerous, like frying attached components and even some reports of catching fire.
especially after 8 years i would be seriously concerned.

it's possible that the SATA power connector may have been malfunctioning and/or causing intermittent issues with connected device(s).

Jun 4, 2024
so, not using an EVGA? or you have since swapped them?

i remember some CM B2 series units.
they were considered dangerous, like frying attached components and even some reports of catching fire.
especially after 8 years i would be seriously concerned.

it's possible that the SATA power connector may have been malfunctioning and/or causing intermittent issues with connected device(s).
Apologies it has always been the CoolerMaster, my memory failed me.

If it were the SATA connector would any device in that port not be the issue? The SSD has swapped ports and cables and the issue has followed that specific drive. I'm not sure what would point to the PSU (other than this) and outright failure.

I'm not doubting you in anyway and appreciate the help. Just unsure of where to look and how to diagnose.

Jun 4, 2024
Cables to SATA port only.

I can try swapping the power lead and reporting back. I've had a bit more time this evening. Games on the drive seem to launch and I can walk around. I tested installing a 20GB file to each drive, all successful apart from the problem drive, "the specified resource could not be found" - I'm guessing it disconnected from Windows briefly.

Jun 4, 2024
swapped cable's connection to the PSU, the motherboard SATA port, or both?
Have managed to do a bit more testing today.

I swapped the locations of the offending drive (F) with a working drive of the same model in the computer (E). They have swapped SATA cables and the SATA power coming from the PSU. The SATA PSU cable is not part of the same "lead" if that makes sense.

Initially things seemed fine, able to leave video files running from the drive for about an hour. Then the issues returned. Unable to open files on the drive, installed games now absent from Steam, missing in CrystalDiskInfo, missing in Device Manager. Oddly it is visible in Windows and Disk Management until I refresh Device Manager, then they update and the device vanishes. Sometimes I am able to navigate the folders of the drive but cannot open any individual files.

Unsure of how to proceed. I think this is leaning more towards the drive as the issues have followed it to the new port/power setup. Is there anything else I could try?

Is there anything else I could try?

when was it purchased?
if anytime recently check the warranty info and submit a ticket with the manufacturer for RMA.

maybe get a cheap external housing for it and see how it works out as portable USB storage?

Solution
Jun 4, 2024

when was it purchased?

Thanks for the reply.

Strange thing is it's the newest drive I own, purchased in October 2023, whilst others that came with the system appear fine. Guess that's just how storage works?

I have contacted Crucial as the device is in warranty, submitted serial and proof of purchase and now waiting to hear back.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost