LionKing12

Honorable
Nov 12, 2015
I just bought a Transcend SSD230s 128GB installed fresh OS on it yesterday haven't installed anything yet on my windows except GPU drivers and my windows loads in about 15 seconds from Windows 10 loading animation right to desktop, I see in some videos the loading animation barely stays for 2 seconds for other people and takes a little longer for me, so is this what I should be expecting (15 seconds)? or something unusual going on and I can fix it?

Using
Asus H97M-E
Intel i3 4160
Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 4GBx2 (overclocked from 1300)
MSI Gaming X RX 470 4G
Transcend SSD230s 128GB
Seagate 1TB
Corsair CS650M

Solution
It's much faster to recreate bootloader on SSD than full reinstall.
Execute from elevated command prompt (partition style of Disk 0 has to be GPT for this to work. If you get any errors executing those commands, then stop immediately.):
diskpart
select disk 0
list partition
select partition x
(x could be 1 or 2, examine output of list partition to determine correct value)
shrink desired = 500
create partition efi
format fs=fat32 quick
assign letter=i
exit
bcdboot c:\windows /s i:
Reboot and change boot priority in BIOS.

Done.

Chaingunchris

Honorable
Jul 29, 2014
Different hardware reacts to windows differently. It’s not the SSD’s fault. Your other hardware is probably taking longer to boot up than other peoples machines. Do you happen to know offhand the read speeds of that SSD?

I see. The SSD is working perfectly. What you could do is go into the bios and turn on fast boot. It makes the hardware boot faster by disabling non-essential hardware during boot. Like USB ports that aren’t being used and then re enabling it during windows start up
Given that only GPU drivers have been mentioned as the 'only' thing installed I'm curious as to whether mobo drivers are installed, it could easily be that the whole system is working in a compatability mode at a driver level. Also as a fresh install windows will be downloading tons of updates, some of which may have actions the first time they boot.

Reactions: LionKing12

Chaingunchris

Honorable
Jul 29, 2014
Given that only GPU drivers have been mentioned as the 'only' thing installed I'm curious as to whether mobo drivers are installed, it could easily be that the whole system is working in a compatability mode at a driver level. Also as a fresh install windows will be downloading tons of updates, some of which may have actions the first time they boot.
that could also be the case. I would do multiple cold boots and see if the long boot time persists

LionKing12

Honorable
Nov 12, 2015
have you installed mobo drivers?
No sir, I never installed any mobo drivers.

Different hardware reacts to windows differently. It’s not the SSD’s fault. Your other hardware is probably taking longer to boot up than other peoples machines. Do you happen to know offhand the read speeds of that SSD?
View: https://i.imgur.com/xeRE3Ux.png
IDK much but I think speeds are pretty sweet well idk see here

I see. The SSD is working perfectly. What you could do is go into the bios and turn on fast boot. It makes the hardware boot faster by disabling non-essential hardware during boot. Like USB ports that aren’t being used and then re enabling it during windows start up
Fastboot is enabled by default in my case, says (RECOMMENDED)

I have let it install and download updates

Chaingunchris

Honorable
Jul 29, 2014
No sir, I never installed any mobo drivers.

View: https://i.imgur.com/xeRE3Ux.png
IDK much but I think speeds are pretty sweet well idk see here

Fastboot is enabled by default in my case, says (RECOMMENDED)

I have let it install and download updates
Those are some decent read speeds for a 120 Gig Drive. There’s probably firmware updates integrated into the software updates. I’ll tell you right now that version of windows you installed is not current unless you downloaded it directly from Microsoft today. There’s probably driver updates that need installing on the Ssd

So you need to install your mobo drivers, they should really be the very first thing you install. I can easily imagine a later driver asking the system 'what are you, so that I know what to set myself up as' and it replies with something that is based on what it knows about itself without drivers.

USAFRet

Titan
I just bought a Transcend SSD230s 128GB installed fresh OS on it yesterday haven't installed anything yet on my windows except GPU drivers and my windows loads in about 15 seconds from Windows 10 loading animation right to desktop, I see in some videos the loading animation barely stays for 2 seconds for other people and takes a little longer for me, so is this what I should be expecting (15 seconds)? or something unusual going on and I can fix it?

Using
Asus H97M-E
Intel i3 4160
Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 4GBx2 (overclocked from 1300)
MSI Gaming X RX 470 4G
Transcend SSD230s 128GB
Seagate 1TB
Corsair CS650M

"15 seconds" is quite normal...actually pretty fast.
Whatever video you see online...your system is not exactly the same as theirs, nor is your software the same as theirs.

And especially if it was only installed yesterday. It is still doing a lot of update checking.

LionKing12

Honorable
Nov 12, 2015
"15 seconds" is quite normal...actually pretty fast.
Whatever video you see online...your system is not exactly the same as theirs, nor is your software the same as theirs.

And especially if it was only installed yesterday. It is still doing a lot of update checking.
Yes exactly what I was wondering about, whether its the usual thing or not. I'm using 1807 version rn I'll update to 1809 and let you guys know, also do I really need to update motherboard drivers like 13thmonkey mentioned above?

USAFRet

Titan
It will update to 1809 on its own.
Yes, you need the most recent motherboard drivers.

Don't stress over your boot time, especially if you compare it to random people on utube. Very often, those seemingly magical fast boot times are in a system that is optimized for that one task...to boot fast. It leaves off any useful software, and usually a stripped down hardware config.

LionKing12

Honorable
Nov 12, 2015
It will update to 1809 on its own.
Yes, you need the most recent motherboard drivers.

Don't stress over your boot time, especially if you compare it to random people on utube. Very often, those seemingly magical fast boot times are in a system that is optimized for that one task...to boot fast. It leaves off any useful software, and usually a stripped down hardware config.
Just randomly opened boot menu and saw this
View: https://i.imgur.com/dkHlBv4.jpg

Why isnt my ssd as boot manager?

So when you installed windows the 1TB drive was still present, windows in it's infinite wisdom followed some rules and put the boot manager on the HDD, so the first part of your booting is hdd based, then it switches over to the SSD. This is why the best procedure for installing windows is to only have the disk you want windows on installed at the point of installation.

LionKing12

Honorable
Nov 12, 2015
Can you show screenshot from Disk Management?

It would be possible to move bootloader to SSD also.
I read this method on a web
"
  1. Boot from your Windows 8 install DVD.
  2. At the initial screen, pick Repair your computer.
  3. Then Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options and finally Command Prompt.
  4. At this command prompt, enter: bootrec /RebuildBCD (to rebuild boot configuration)
  5. and then bootrec /FixBoot (to write a new boot sector) "
I can open that cmd in advanced options, should I try this?