Oct 5, 2022
Hi

Hoping someone has the time to help, if so I would really appreciate it

I wanted to switch/upgrade my SSD's in my gaming computer I built a few years ago.
I have a Gigabyte X570 elite wifi board and it had 2 m.2 ssd slots.
When I built the computer I put 1x500gb and 1x1tb ssd into the motherboard and as far as I know I installed windows on the 500gb card because I wanted the 1tb or all my game installs only.

Now I want to upgrade the 1tb game storage to a faster 2tb nvme ssd, but also swap out the 500gb ssd (with my windows) to the 1tb ssd for my windows and programs to be installed on.
I attempted to clone my 500gb ssd onto my 1tb ssd after watching video's online using "macruim reflect"

After I did the clone I tried switching out the 500gb card with the other 1tb card and boot the computer (i left the slot empty i pulled the 1tb card out of)
When I tried booting with only the 1tb card installed I got a blue screen saying pc need repairing and that is was missing a file "winload.exe" I think

Maybe when I built the computer some of Windows installed onto both my 500gb and 1tb drive because now after doing the clone the only way I can boot my computer is by having both cards installed which means I cannot plug in my new card and do the upgrade I wanted too it will not let me boot with just one of them.

Did I do something wrong in the cloning process? and is this fixable

Really appreciate any feedback
Thank you

Solution
Ok that is fine there is nothing on these drives I need other than windows but I am unsure how to do a fresh install at this point

My biggest concern is having to purchase a new windows product code? That is what I was trying avoid by cloning
Reinstall in this same system incurs NO OS licensing issues.

Assuming it is currently fully activated, disconnect ALL drives except for the one you want the OS on, boot from a newly created USB, and install.

Thusly:

Lutfij

Titan
I'd suggest removing all drives from your platform except the drive you intend to install the OS on, then install the OS onto the SSD afresh. As for your other drive that's your game library, it's best if you copy over the games onto the larger SSD using an USB driven dock/adapter.

Oct 5, 2022
I will send a pic of my disc management once I get home from the office

Also I removed everything from 1tb drive when I attempted the clone and when I looked in the drive its matched the 500gb card but it will not boot with just the 1tb card installed its missing something to be able to boot

I am not sure how to just re-install a new version windows OS onto the 1tb card since it will not boot with just the 1tb card installed?
but would that be a better solution? instead of cloning....

Oct 5, 2022
Hi

Ok I think I got it
kODzHPO.png
gr6vyS1.png
0h5jJnN.png

USAFRet

Titan
Right.
When you installed the OS originally, you had both drives connected.
This resulted in the boot partition ending up on the other drive. Here, the 1TB Disk 0.
Remove that, and no boot for you.

Windows does indeed reside on the 500GB, Disk 1.
But to boot up, you need both of those.

What do you want the end state to be?
What goes where?

Oct 5, 2022
I want to be able to use the 1tb ssd only as the boot drive

the 500gb ssd I will not be using as I am replacing with a new 2tb card

Once i get the computer booting from only the 1tb ssd I have a new 2tb card I will install for my game installs

if that makes sense

USAFRet

Titan
I want to be able to use the 1tb ssd only as the boot drive

the 500gb ssd I will not be using as I am replacing with a new 2tb card

Once i get the computer booting from only the 1tb ssd I have a new 2tb card I will install for my game installs

if that makes sense
Is there anything critical on either drive?

The best way to move forward with this is a fresh OS install on the 1TB.

Oct 5, 2022
Ok that is fine there is nothing on these drives I need other than windows but I am unsure how to do a fresh install at this point

My biggest concern is having to purchase a new windows product code? That is what I was trying avoid by cloning

USAFRet

Titan

Reinstall in this same system incurs NO OS licensing issues.

Assuming it is currently fully activated, disconnect ALL drives except for the one you want the OS on, boot from a newly created USB, and install.

Thusly:

Solution