[SOLVED] SSD disappeared from boot-menu after testing "boot from DVD-only"

Nov 6, 2020
Hello,

hopefully I can still get things together right, as this is really getting me to my limits for the last 48 hours.

My MSI H81M-E34 doesn't boot from anything anymore, doesn't even recognise the SSD anymore. I m ending up in UEFI shell or nothing.

Had a dualboot Win10/Ubuntu which I navigated via GRUB. It was all good. 48 hours ago, I pulled my phone out the front panel-usb (without ending data-transmission), which was responded by bluescreen. Shutted down, restarted, bluescreen.

Pressed F8 during boot, tried all kinds of CMD commands (chkdsk etc). Set back the system 24 hours, tried all onboard-rep-kits, nothing.

While Ubuntu would still boot normal, I flashed a USB with Win10, when booting from this I got the infamous "blackscreen with blinking cursor".(and tried all troubleshoots on this)

So I flashed a Win10 DVD, but it wouldn't boot from the DVD too. Repaired GRUB within Ubuntu, no changes.

Next I removed my Sandisk SSD from the boot-list, just to see what happens if I force to boot from DVD only. (while I did this with my flashed USB stick before, I thought it'll be legit).

Tried to boot DVD, failed. But now, the "Sandisk"-entry in the boot-list disappeared and all I can boot from a unspecified "hard-disk", "UEFI-harddisk" or "usb-harddisk" and no matter which I boot from, I end up in the EFI shell loop instead the grub menu. s

So finally I got from bad to worse.

Does anyone have a clue, an idea, a hint? I'd be very thankful. :)

Nov 6, 2020
Before you proceed with the installation, it may be necessary to enter the bios and set your machine boot order to USB or DVD drive as the first bootable option it will look for,

I've read the whole thing, but it doesnt apply to me as I cannot choose to boot from USB/DVD.

This clean install means overwrite the whole partition instead repair it, which would erase all files, wouldnt it?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2020
found out, my
Code:
sys/firmware/efi
directory doesnt exist in Ubuntu. It's said, this means Ubuntu boots in BIOS- while Windows boots in EFI-mode. Next advice is to
boot the Ubuntu installer in EFI mode and run boot-repair

As I have no idea how or if this should help my situation, I m going to try to set back Windows inside its self-repair-mode (F8 during boot). This will - if it works - at least get me back my files. If it doesnt work, obviously I'm screwed. :(

Nov 6, 2020
Got it. For those after me: Win repair mode, then into CMD:
cd %windir% \system32\config ren system system.001 ren software software.001
The third command gave out an error, I randomly uninstalled latest win updates and tried only the third command one mor time... next reboot Windows came Back 2 life, as If nothing had happened. Good luck.