SSD failure - what can I do?

Michael Robinson

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
My dear wife cleaned my computer this afternoon and when i came back it was showing a BSOD with text kernal data in page error. PC wouldn't boot. tried booting in safe mode - same issue - it got to mup.sys and then seemed to stop there- after a short while it comes back to the boot screen where I can pick safe boot etc. Oddly it shows a windows XP screen for a short while. The PC has/had an official WIndows 10 OS and has been running perfectly for 2 years now.

I also tried booting with each RAM stick separately and got same issue. Pulled out the GPU - same issue. I tried using a linux CD and managed to get full access to the PC but it reported it couldn't access the SSD which has my Win 10 OS on etc.

Is there anything I can do? An ideal situation would be to repair the disk or be able to transfer the contents to a larger spare SSD. Unfortunately I don't have a recovery disk. My important files are mostly on dropbox so that isn't an issue but I'm a bit stuck without a PC.Is there a process to reinstall the OS - not sure how if PC doesn't work.

Thanks for any guidance.

Mike

PC is an i5-3570k, 8GB RAM, GTX 660,
SSD is 120GB Samsung 840 evo
OS is WIn 10
I have an Antix linux boot cD

Solution
I did change the boot order and that was where I got the iso from.

I also finally managed to work out what was wrong. It turned out to be a bad connection on one of the other HDD's. I pulled out all the wiring for the 4 drives in the box and the PC sprang to life. I guess the wiring must have been snagged by the hoover (I foolishly have the side of the PC off so this could of easily happened). All Working fine now. I also made a recovery disk just in case it all goes wrong again.

Thank you for your help.

Mike
Try unplugging and replugging the power and SATA cable from both the Evo and the Mobo. Either could have been knocked loose by the cleaning. Or damaged, so if you've got some spare cables you can try swapping it out too. Sometimes plugging and replugging can both cause and cure problems with longtime connections due to corrosion buildup and the scraping action.

Michael Robinson

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013

i replaced both the wires with spare wires I had hanging around but it didn't make much of a difference. Previously Linux could see the SSD but said the drive was faulty so I guess the wires were OK.I could try getting new wires over the weekend.

Currently thinking of downloading a win 10 iso and reinstalling. It seems quite difficult to do this though unless you;re updating the computer you're downloading the iso onto.

Michael Robinson

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
I'm kind of resigned to just reloading windows 10. My copy was downloaded from Ms as windows 7 and then upgrade to 10. I'm told I should be able to reinstall windows but I honestly can't work out how.

I keep having issues no matter how I try to download the MS re-installation ISO. If I download the file onto my sons windows 7 PC then it tries to update his PC immediately rather than give me a file I can transfer to disk. I tried creating a bootable usb but couldn't get my pc to boot from it - it just kept saying there's was a problem with windows and asking if I wanted to go into safe mode. I have the other options of using ubuntu on a laptop but I could get the file but first windows didn't like the filesystem type of the usb I used to transfer the file then, when I changed the type to fat32, it said it didn't like the file and couldn't burn it to disk. I'm at a bit of a loss at the moment.

Help

Michael Robinson

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
I did change the boot order and that was where I got the iso from.

I also finally managed to work out what was wrong. It turned out to be a bad connection on one of the other HDD's. I pulled out all the wiring for the 4 drives in the box and the PC sprang to life. I guess the wiring must have been snagged by the hoover (I foolishly have the side of the PC off so this could of easily happened). All Working fine now. I also made a recovery disk just in case it all goes wrong again.

Thank you for your help.

Mike

Solution