Question SSD not being detected once I unplug ol HDD

Jan 20, 2024
A few weeks ago I bought a new m2 SSD for my PC. I have in total 2 SSD’s now and the purpose for the new one was to clone the C drive from my old HHD (which has windows installed) to help with boot time, speed and not hearing the annoying sound from the HDD.

It worked fine but when I unplugged the HDD the SSD which was installed before I bought the new one is no longer detected, not even detected in the disk partition tool.

Back when I first tried to solve it I decided to just disable the HDD, but it still bothered me so I tried again and do some troubleshooting.

I unplugged the sata cable from the motherboard and had the same issue, I tried to replug the sata cable in a different motherboard slot and the problem was still present. It’s like the old SSD needs the HDD to be plugged in to be detected. The computer was originally prebuilt but I’ve changed every component throughout owning it except for the HDD and the old SSD.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? Much thanks!

For clarification of the different drivers and time progresssion.

Before cloning HDD: HDD (old C Drive) | SSD(D Drive)

Current setup:

HDD(original C Drive, currently disabled) | New SSD(C Drive, cloned from HDD) | SSD(D Drive)

HDD is unplugged/in another sata port:

SSD(C Drive works fine) | SSD(D Drive not detected)