Question SSD NVMe WD BLUE SN550 - disappearing

Nov 13, 2021
Hi,

Straight to the point - my NVMe SSD is constantly disappearing from both BIOS and windows (actually it causes lack of windows as I have it on this SSD).

I have impression I've went through every thread here and on every other forum to resolve this problem, but nothing helps.

My mother board is MSI B450 gaming carbon pro max WiFi along with Ryzen 7 3800X CPU.

Background - previosuly I had ASRock ab350 + Ryzen 5 1600 with similar SSD but 500GB instead of 1TB I have now. It worked perfectly fine for about 1 year and one day my PC just did not turn on. It said there is no bootable device. I've opened BIOS and I've noticed that in fact my SSD were not there. I've opened the case, unmounted it and mounted again - it helped...for one day. I did the same few times but finally I got sick of it so I've just changed my hardware - you know, I just had a feeling that iot is "the" time :D

But the problem came back the first day I've builder the PC.
I got windows from Microsoft website, I've prepared non-legacy USB bootable pendrive. I've installed it on my SSD (MBR) and that is actually all.

If it comes to setup in bios:
BIOS mode - UEFI (not CMS)
Secure boot - I've tried both, enabled and disabled
Boot mode - I've seen somewhere that for windows installation I should choose "other os" but there is no such option, I can pick "UEFI" only.
Resetting CMOS helps but only for a while (few hours) so that is not the solution.

PLEASE HELP. I'm totally tired of this situation, I've installed everything millions times since problem occured and I'm sick of it.

Edit - I've now reinstalled system once again doing everything like here -
View: https://youtu.be/No-ct8pQcIg

I had to ignore only one thing - changing is type in bios. I just do not have this option :|

Anyway, it works for a while but I assume everything will crash again anyway...

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021
I have a similar issue that in the morning when I power on my PC I cant see my nvme m2 in bios. When I turn it off (by pressing Power button or through win10 usb) it gets recognized and boots well into windows! And still seems like noone here knows how to fix it. It works well but not recognized in the morning (probably if I leave my PC for 8-10 hours it will not get recognized too so doesnt matter if its a night or a day time).
So I guess yours is similar?
The health of my drive is 100% and it works well.

Btw, do you use the same PSU as you used on your old PC?

Last edited:

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
on some motherboards, in advanced settings, you have option to go in and change the "gen 1,gen 2, and gen 3, option, if your drive is not detecting. (this feature is on gigabyte and asrock boards, and some Msi boards.. this should solve your issue, it did for me a few years ago. (not had issue on recent motherboards)