Question SSD still has very small partitions and can't install GTX-1060 drivers

Flyboy30126

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I hope someone can tell me what to do. This is bad. I got a ransomeware virus and lost everything. I have a 2 TB and a 1 TB hard drives. I have a WD 512GB SSD. I want to boot from the SSD so It would not install so I had to put windows 10 on a hard drive then
format the SSD and disconnect the hard drives the I got it to install but the SSD has about 5 400 mb different partitions I've worked all day to get to where I'm at, but now I can't install my Video Driver (GTX-1060 6gb) windows is saying it can't install the driver
in this version of windows. So first How do I get rid of those small partitions so windows will install and update. How/what to do to get the video drivers to install? THANKS in ADVANCE!
My Specs are: Intel i7-7700K
Asus Z270E motherboard
GTX 1060 6gb
32gb ram
EVGA 850 watt PS
2 hard drives ( currently disconnected)
WD 518gb SSD

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If you have Windows installed on the drive, do not attempt to delete partitions at that stage.

Delete all partitions on the drive, which you can do after booting from installation media (USB etc).
When you're selecting where to install, you can delete partitions on a drive . You work backwards, you'll have partition #0, 1, 2, 3 etc... Leave #0 alone, drop to the next & delete. Delete them all (only the SSD, disconnect other drives to be safe) so you're left with just a single, large partition.
Let Windows deal with the partitioning.

As for not installing on that version of Windows, did you install 32bit or 64bit Windows? Did you download the corresponding driver from Nvidia's website?

While 1060 6GB do you have, specifically?

Flyboy30126

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
If you have Windows installed on the drive, do not attempt to delete partitions at that stage.

Delete all partitions on the drive, which you can do after booting from installation media (USB etc).
When you're selecting where to install, you can delete partitions on a drive . You work backwards, you'll have partition #0, 1, 2, 3 etc... Leave #0 alone, drop to the next & delete. Delete them all (only the SSD, disconnect other drives to be safe) so you're left with just a single, large partition.
Let Windows deal with the partitioning.

As for not installing on that version of Windows, did you install 32bit or 64bit Windows? Did you download the corresponding driver from Nvidia's website?

While 1060 6GB do you have, specifically?

THANKS for your advice. Yes, I downloaded the drivers. My Card is a EVGA SSC GTX 1060 6gb of memory. In my device manager, it says Default Video Controller (VGA Compatible) no matter what I do it won't delete it. I got it to disable it. It Just won't find the card. I am going to set the bio's to default. I remember when I first built this, about 2 or 3 years ago, there was a option to set it to PCIe but I don't see it. I really appreciate the help!

Flyboy30126

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
You;'ll need the driver installed before it'll show in device manager.

Did you download the 32bit or 64bit driver?

Yes, I had 3 or 4 I had saved but no matter what I do its not showing up. 64 bit. When I go to NVidia's site I put all the correct info, GFORCE, GTX-1060, Windows 10. Then it "checks compatibility then I get the error "this driver is not for your version of windows. Any Ideas would be Greatly Appreciated and Thanks for the reply!

Flyboy30126

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
try the windows 10 driver from EVGA website. Leave card enabled before you install drivers.

Yes, I've tried the EVGA driver but it's the same version 418 I think. No luck. I've re-installed Windows 10 so many times (8 or 10) I saw it in my sleep, didn't go to bed till 4 a.m.. This thing installs a Microsoft VGA driver and I can't uninstall it. I've tried again 8 or 10 times. Whats so weird, EVERYTHING was fine before. I've reset BIOS to default, removed the battery I've done it all. I hope someone knows what the problem is. THANKS to everyone who's helped on this.

Flyboy30126

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
THANKS to everyone who helped. After being up till 4 a.m. I figured it out by going to Microsoft. Turns out I needed to update Windows 10. Any build before 15 08 I think, Windows 10 won't setup a nvidia Gtx 10 series card. After installing the update you can. I have the update and the info saved! Thanks All I really appreciate it

Last edited: