[SOLVED] SSD upgrade, heat rise afterwards

nejc.sem

Reputable
Oct 30, 2017
Hello everyone!

First of all, sorry, if I posted this in wrong category.
I'm using Dell Inspiron 7577 laptop with i5-7300HQ and GeForce GTX 1050Ti. After almost 2 years of usage, I decided to upgrade my memory (both, RAM and disk). Now it's running with 16 GB of RAM, 1 TB HDD (stock) and 512 GB M.2 SSD (upgrade).
I decided to clean install Windows 10 on SSD and use it as boot drive, along with some frequently used programs and games, while leaving other data on "old" HDD. Performance now is great, fast and responsive as it should be, but I have a problem with heat/fan speed. I noticed that while running from SSD, laptop gets hotter, fans run constantly at medium speed and laptop is not cooling down much. If I change boot drive back to HDD, everything is normal.
I upgraded BIOS, all graphics drivers and Windows and cleaned fans+vents but problem still occurs. I'm wondering if I somehow blocked any possible heat sensors with M.2 SSD, or are CPU and GPU now more under stress because of faster SSD?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Solution
Make sure the light blue thermal tape on the aluminum heat spreader that is attached to the removable bottom panel is making contact with the m.2 ssd cover...it's critical to have the m.2 ssd heat pulled away and spread over that large panel on the bottom cover. It might be a good idea to use a ventilated laptop stand while gaming...they are cheap and have fans to push air directly at the bottom of the laptop.

Something like this - https://www.amazon.com/Laptop-Cooli...op+stand&qid=1580646699&s=electronics&sr=1-26
Make sure the light blue thermal tape on the aluminum heat spreader that is attached to the removable bottom panel is making contact with the m.2 ssd cover...it's critical to have the m.2 ssd heat pulled away and spread over that large panel on the bottom cover. It might be a good idea to use a ventilated laptop stand while gaming...they are cheap and have fans to push air directly at the bottom of the laptop.

Something like this - https://www.amazon.com/Laptop-Cooli...op+stand&qid=1580646699&s=electronics&sr=1-26

Solution

nejc.sem

Reputable
Oct 30, 2017

I checked the bottom cover again, and there are only two strips, covering the HDD.
But!
For some reason, a few minutes after I posted this, laptop went silent, with fans running only when needed. I'm thinking laptop had to recalibrate and get used to new ssd:)
Also, thanks for a suggestion, I'll consider it!