[SOLVED] SSD's estimated remaining life dropping rapidly

charpour

Commendable
Sep 24, 2019
Hi all,

I currently own two Aorus NVME SSD drives:
  • First one is the older Gigabyte Aorus SSD 2TB M.2 NVMe (5 GB/s, 4.4 GB/s) which I own for around 2years and I've used it as my primary drive until I I bought the new one. It's drive estimated remaining life is 99% as reported by the software
  • The new one is the Gigabyte Aorus Gen4 7000s SSD 2TB M.2 NVMe (7 GB/s, 5.5 GB/s) which I bought around 2 months ago. To my surprise, I found out that the drive's estimated remaining life is 95% and it's dropping relatively fast
ssdOld.png

ssd7000.png

Can someone that better understands the meaning of drive's estimated remaining life give some tips on how to keep it under control? Could it be that I simply got a faulty/defective drive?

Many thanks for your help

Last edited:
Solution
Backup
Backup
Backup

No matter if it stays at 99-10)% for months/years, or if it drops 1% per day.
Backups.

If it dies within the warranty period, free replacement.
If outside the warranty, replace.

But your data is still protected.

Ralston18

Titan
And the Aorus Gen 4 is 2 TB and partitioned into C: (boot drive) and another D: (data?) drive - correct?

Can you quantify "dropping fast"? E.g., 1 % every two weeks. What determination are you using?

I do not know the algorithm being used to project/forecast "health" nor the accuracy of that projection but for the most part I would not be concerned about the immediate decline pending additional information.

A continuing decline does, of course, indicate that there may be some ongoing problem. But more information is needed.

Noted different firmware - that could make a difference.

As always, ensure that all important data is backed up at least 2x to different locations and proven both recoverable and readable.

Just my thoughts on the matter. There may be other comments and suggestions.

haseeb98ahm

Honorable
Jan 30, 2018
The drive is rated for 1400TBW. You C/E drive has written 7TB to it which is 0.005% of 1400TB. That number is incorrect unless the drive is faulty or if Gigabyte tried to swap components with lower grade components.

Last edited:
Hi all,

• First one is the older Gigabyte Aorus SSD 2TB M.2 NVMe (5 GB/s, 4.4 GB/s) which I own for around 2years and I've used it as my primary drive until I I bought the new one. It's drive estimated remaining life is 99% as reported by the software
  • The new one is the Gigabyte Aorus Gen4 7000s SSD 2TB M.2 NVMe (7 GB/s, 5.5 GB/s) which I bought around 2 months ago. To my surprise, I found out that the drive's estimated remaining life is 95% and it's dropping relatively fast
ssdOld.png

ssd7000.png

Can someone that better understands the meaning of drive's estimated remaining life give some tips on how to keep it under control? Could it be that I simply got a faulty/defective drive?

Your c/d drive is showing 18GB/HR being written to it.
That's a bunch.
A big chunk of that may have come from the initial install of stuff.
Run your stuff and keep an eye on that GB/HR if it remains high you will need to find out what is doing all the writing.

USAFRet

Titan
Backup
Backup
Backup

No matter if it stays at 99-10)% for months/years, or if it drops 1% per day.
Backups.

If outside the warranty, replace.

But your data is still protected.

Solution
Hi all,

ssdOld.png

ssd7000.png

:/

This is why I never put my faith in ssd's, that aside if you really are that worried, call gigabyte soon and explain your problem.
1 (626) 854-9338
Also make sure you validate your warranty with them so if it does fail real soon, get a replacement drive.
If i were you I would go this way for a safer life expectancy:
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-SN550-1...rn+digital+nvme+express&qid=1632456214&sr=8-3

I have 1 of these in my acer gaming laptop 2020 model since april, no crazy failure rates or drama.

DSzymborski

Titan
The drive is rated for 1400TBW. You E drive has written 7TB to it which is 0.005% of 1400TB. That number is incorrect unless the drive is faulty or if Gigabyte tried to swap components with lower grade components.

Umm, no. 7 is not 0.005% of 1400, it's 0.5%.

7 is 50% of 14, not 0.5%
7 is 5% of 140, not 0.05%
7 is 0.5% of 1400, not 0.005%

X/Y gives you a decimal, not X's percentage of Y.

haseeb98ahm

Honorable
Jan 30, 2018
Umm, no. 7 is not 0.005% of 1400, it's 0.5%.

7 is 50% of 14, not 0.5%
7 is 5% of 140, not 0.05%
7 is 0.5% of 1400, not 0.005%

X/Y gives you a decimal, not X's percentage of Y.

Yes it's 0.5%. but the number reported by crystaldiskinfo is still incorrect. Percentage used is reporting 5%. When it's clearly less than 1%. That value should read 1.

Last edited:

charpour

Commendable
Sep 24, 2019
Thanks for all of the responses.
It's still not clear to me, is it something to be concerned of?
I do keep backups so I wouldn't worry much about the data, what worries me is the life expectancy of the drive.

Cheers

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for all of the responses.
It's still not clear to me, is it something to be concerned of?
I do keep backups so I wouldn't worry much about the data, what worries me is the life expectancy of the drive.

Cheers
There is no way to predict.

Is it still under warranty?

If outside the warranty, replace anyway.

Use it until it dies.