HuskyZ

Commendable
Mar 28, 2021
I just have a small question. Do u guys think an I7 2600 gtx 1650 8gb ram is enough to play valorant? Ive seen people with the same components as my pc and a gtx 780 get 120 while i struggle to get 100fps with visible fps drops down to 40-50 fps with all settings on low and resolution aswell. What do u think could be the problem?

Solution
My suspicion is the i7 2600 is starting to hold you back. It was a very good processor, and the fact it still holds up decently is amazing, but it IS a first gen i7. GPU is more then fine. If you are now in dual channel mode the RAM is probably fine; 8GB is a bit low nowadays but Valorant isn't that RAM intensive.

My best guess at this point is the CPU just starting to get on. What resolution are you running? 1080 or 1440?

HuskyZ

Commendable
Mar 28, 2021
You will get 200FPS competitive settings 1080p without a problem.
yeah so i tried playing today and im getting from 50-120 fps with large fps spike drops that are really visible. What do you think could be the problem? More detailed specifications: I have a hp compaq 8300 elite MT with changed cpu(intel core i7 2600, and gtx 1650, then 8 gb of ram(2x4gb each one is form a different company) and then no ssd and a 500gb hdd.

Reactions: Fiorezy

HuskyZ

Commendable
Mar 28, 2021
unknown.png
What are the temps while playing?
okay so i ran msi afterburner and

HuskyZ

Commendable
Mar 28, 2021
Hmm weird.
I get around 100FPS 1920x1200 competitive settings with a dual core i3 and a r9 380...
Do you have any programs running in the background while your are playing?
well i usually have just discord open in the background and i force close any other apps in the background that take a lot of ram or cpu. I also checked multiple times for viruses(didnt find any)
unknown.png

HuskyZ

Commendable
Mar 28, 2021
Hmm weird.
I get around 100FPS 1920x1200 competitive settings with a dual core i3 and a r9 380...
Do you have any programs running in the background while your are playing?
yeah i checked again today to check for any weird background programs or anything that would really mess up my cpu but the only program that really takes my cpu is discord and even with just valorant running i still get unstable fps(70-80fps a big stutters as always)

It's possible you are getting hit by paging; 8GB isn't that much RAM nowadays. That being said, I can't imagine Valaront is that RAM heavy.

Download CPUz and confirm if you RAM is running in dual mode and not single. The fact you are running mismatched sticks makes it possible your RAM is running in single mode, which KILLS performance.

HuskyZ

Commendable
Mar 28, 2021
It's possible you are getting hit by paging; 8GB isn't that much RAM nowadays. That being said, I can't imagine Valaront is that RAM heavy.

Download CPUz and confirm if you RAM is running in dual mode and not single. The fact you are running mismatched sticks makes it possible your RAM is running in single mode, which KILLS performance.

yup i checked and its running in single mode. Do i just have to buy 2 matching ram sticks or is there any other way of fixing this?(EDIT:i noticed that my ram sticks are right next to eachother in my build could that be the reason why i have a single channel?)
unknown.png

Last edited:
Honestly, I'm not a major RAM expert. Check with your motherboard manual to confirm what physical RAM slots are matched; it might be alternating slots [they're usually color coded...]. Generally, as long as the RAM is the same size and can run at the same timings, you can run mismatched sticks in dual mode.

But yeah, you're cutting your memory bandwidth in half; that's going to affect gameplay.

HuskyZ

Commendable
Mar 28, 2021
Honestly, I'm not a major RAM expert. Check with your motherboard manual to confirm what physical RAM slots are matched; it might be alternating slots [they're usually color coded...]. Generally, as long as the RAM is the same size and can run at the same timings, you can run mismatched sticks in dual mode.

But yeah, you're cutting your memory bandwidth in half; that's going to affect gameplay.
okay so i changed the memories to dual slot but im still getting visible fps drops from like 100-80 fps(if i cap the fps it gets even worse) and i honestly have no idea what the problem could be at this point

My suspicion is the i7 2600 is starting to hold you back. It was a very good processor, and the fact it still holds up decently is amazing, but it IS a first gen i7. GPU is more then fine. If you are now in dual channel mode the RAM is probably fine; 8GB is a bit low nowadays but Valorant isn't that RAM intensive.

My best guess at this point is the CPU just starting to get on. What resolution are you running? 1080 or 1440?

Solution