StarCraft II LAN Dropped Thanks to Piracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that is just ridiculous. What happens when Blizzard no longer runs compatible Battle.net servers? Or if Blizzard goes under.

I won't buy this just like any MMORPG.

If I buy a game I enjoy. I expect to be able to play it any time in the future. Assuming I can find and want to assemble still functioning compatible equipment 20+ years from now.

Mostly I play single player games. However, the few games I enjoy multiplayer on need to allow LAN play. Such as Age of Empires.

sstym

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Correction: Instead of "LAN dropped thanks to piracy", you should have titled this article "LAN dropped thanks to Blizzard's ineptitude".
Asserting that Piracy is the direct cause to LAN being dropped is about the same as saying Time Warner Cable's decision to not upgrade its network is a direct consequence of the uproar caused by the introduction of its tiered service. It is neither a logical nor an appropriate response.
There are many ways Blizzard can prevent their games for being pirated, and this is a rather silly one.
What is going to happen is someone is going to create a pirate patch to implement LAN whether Blizzard is ok with that or not, and then Blizzard will scramble to implement LAN in an official patch.
Pitiful.

neodude007

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Why are people crying about this so much?? Blizz is spending years making this game and people are crying that they have to use the interwebz to play it??? Jesus. It is called a business model. They are requiring people to use Bnet now for sever reasons, 2 of which are piracy and $ from ads.

StarCraft 1 was so popular on LAN because basically only 56k was around back then and internet use was not as common. Get over it people. If you are not buying this game because you can't LAN it up with your kid sister downstairs then you got issues.

If friends want to have a LAN party with SC2 they can, just on private Bnet games... and those friends should all have a copy of the game anyways... so who cares?

turboflame

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
"StarCraft II LAN Dropped Thanks to Piracy"

Moar liek "StarCraft II LAN Dropped Thanks to a Company That Doesn't Care About its Customers and Uses Pirates as a Scapegoat" amirite?

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I'll admit, I'm not really into all this 'LAN Gaming' deal so the fact Starcraft II lacks LAN support doesn't really bother me however I do recognise LAN gaming and LAN parties has been an integral aspect of PC gaming for over a decade now and this really is a sad to see.

Also by not supporting it you will only encourage other publishers to follow suit and this will risk killing a whole micro industry that generates money and employment.

As for piracy................some how I don't think the directors of Blizzard are to concerned about piracy when they go and collect their wages in wheelbarrows from the mountain of cash they earn every month from World of Warcraft subscriptions.

mcnuggetofdeath

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
Called It. The issue is and will be piracy. Blizzard is the new EA. Rather than provide those customers who did pay for Starcraft with a quality product that they can use long after Battle.net servers go offline, Blizzard decided to make it slightly more difficult for those who wouldve stolen the game anyway to get their own servers. Its not like people who pirate games can crack activation and set up their own servers that mimic Battle.net. *cough* WoW *cough*

All this does is make it less enjoyable for actual customers.

Grims

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Look at the newer age games. None of them work on a LAN and their servers are going down all the time. That always pisses me off. What happens when it is no longer cost effective to keep the servers going because the game doesnt sell anymore?

IronRyan21

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Lack of LAN due to Piracy? This only hurts us that actually will pay 50 dollars for every game in this trilogy. So not only will I pay $150 Dollars, but lets subtract LAN option as well. Damn smart move blizzard, you dumbasses!

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
this is uncharacteristic of blizzard....probably the decision came from high rank executives knowing the potential revenue from asian countries.
yet, i am sure someone will and can create software that will enable it.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Well, it's a little shocking because I think the community would consider the term "RTS" to go hand-in-hand with the term "LAN", but I can't say this would affect me personally as I am not much of a LAN gamer.

As for the folks citing the questionable future of Battle.Net, are you honestly concerned that Blizzard might just up and disconnect it? They've had these servers up and running since Starcraft launched many years ago. Forcing everyone to use Battle.Net might make Battle.Net itself much more entertaining. After all, what fun is a multiplayer game if there aren't too many people playing it?

Still, I do offer my condolences to those who thrive on LAN-gaming. You would pretty much expect something like this from any company but Blizzard. I will anxiously await to see the effects this has. They are usually pretty smart with how they go about things. Maybe they've got something else in mind other than what they are sharing with the community.

dechy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2008
I wonder how much of a hand Activision had in this decision... the most lucrative gaming company name in the industry pulling the "piracy" card is lame.

They've just shot themselves in the foot... with the amount of backlash from this, they just increased by a HUGE margin the number of people that'll just straight torrent it, play the campaign and delete it.

Pull that shit on D3 as well and watch your bottom line take a hit, more than you will expect.

Yeah, that's gonna stop people from pirating that game. Right.

Anyway, running games like that on a lan is cool for lan parties and stuff so I can see why that would turn away potential customers. I seriously don't think that preventing piracy is a good excuse since hackers/crackers will find a way.

G

Haha, the tears of the crying kids too stupid/lazy to get a paying job sustain me!

Go out and work for a living and buy it, or gtfo.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I was going to buy it anyways, so I don't really see how this harms me at all lol. My friends always buy these types of games too for the online play. Just hoping the price won't be real high on the game is all. If it is $29.99 that'd be fine.

v1ze

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
This will also force people to buy 2 copies if they want to play with a friend. The original Starcraft had a 'Spawn' copy you could install for multiplayer only. I guess I won't be playing Starcraft II with my kids. )=

G

This was done because Blizzard wants you to pay for your Battle.net account every month, like a WoW account.

The top executives have realized how much of a cash cow a monthly subscription-required game is, and they are making sure all the games they release in the future will require a monthly subscription, so they can keep their profit structure.

People can whine about it all they like, but truth be told: the pirates are the cause. Yes, this decision will hurt end-users. Do think about it from blizzards perspective though: why should they get stuck footing the bill from people who pirate the game? As pissed off as you all are about the lack of a lan option, they are just as upset about people who pirate games. In either case, someone will lose. It just happens that most of the time the pirates win out. In those cases all we hear is yarr matey foolish idicrasies. People honestly need to stop thinking about only themselves when passing judgement.

The lack of lan capability from the start does not mean that it can not be included in the future. If blizzard feels it would be beneficial and if enough people purchase the games (instead of pirating) the function could be restored with a patch. In any case, how often is lanplay utilized in a non lanparty situation? Most of my time was spent on battle.net on sc with only a few lan-skirmishes. Figure in that most people have high speed connections, even if you must split a fast connection 3 ways, it is more than sufficient to play an rts from the same household.

bizi

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
If they see that they have loose a significant number of potential customers they can always release a patch that adds LAN support and if the games sells well like it is.. well then it wasn't such a bad idea. It's their product and their decision.

Emusnacks

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Blizzard is no longer in control of what they can and cannot do ever since the takeover was completed in July of 2008 by Activision, no matter how much Blizzard likes to deny that they still call the shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS