Starting a new build...C2Q9400, PII X4 940BE, or...?

zenoli

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
It's been something like six years since I last built a system, and it's time to drag myself out of the dark ages of hand-me-down boxes. After lots of digging, I find myself still stuck on the first decision: which CPU will form the core of the build?

This system will be used for a mixture of scientific computing and gaming. I'm expecting to run with a 24" LCD at 1920x1200, probably with two monitors (though only one of those is likely to be used for gaming, of course). The scientific computing is going to be a lot of simulation and number-crunching, test environments with multiple virtual machines, etc...tends to CPU-bound stuff with plenty of threads, so multiple cores make a lot of sense; it'll also need a fair amount of RAM. For gaming, I tend to like FPSes, am looking forward to playing Fallout 3, etc.

My budget isn't completely bare-bones, but I would of course like to hold down the costs as much as possible. I'd also like to design for some upgradability. Core i7, for example, doesn't seem to fit my current price-performance needs. and Socket AM3 stuff doesn't seem to be at optimal ripeness.

I can pick up a Core2 Quad Q9400 at Microcenter for around $180 or a Phenom II X4 940 for $200. My current thinking suggests that one of these might be the way to go, and I'd be very interested to hear some opinions.

(Mobo and other component suggestions welcome as well, of course, but I figured I'd start here on the CPU forum. I'm leaning toward a 1GB ATI 4970, picking one up to start and getting a Crossfire-capable mobo to allow for buying a second one down the line...looks like I can get a decent one for around $180. I'd like some RAM overhead on the motherboard, if possible, so I'm not stuck with an 8GB cap if it looks like more might be useful.)

sprucebr1

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Its tough to say, Both Q9XXX and Phenom 2 are good. Both are 45nm. Ideally i7 is the way to go, why? mainly thanks to X58 and QPI (Quick Path Interconect) connecting CPU directly to system RAM. No more FSB. Anyway, like always AMD is cheaper, and you still have a great Quad there in Phenom 2. If you can't get i7, then Phenom 2 might be better, it uses DDR3. Radeon 4XXX cards are very good as well. HD 4870 1GB would be ideal for 1900X1200 and up. Tough to say, Q9XXX is still good performance, many good things about Q9550. Personally, wait, Intel is coming out with more. Like I say though, right now, i7 is the BEST. Hope that helps.

The Third Level

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
You can grab a lot of mobos that support 16gb RAM, so you wont have a problem.

As for AM3 PII's not being at optimal ripeness, I must disagree. The X3 720 BE is quite possible the best price/performance chip out there. It is 2.8 stock, and i hear many ppl OC it to 3.4-3.6, it's got an unlocked multi, works with AM3 and AM2+, and DDR2/DDR3. Best of all, it's only $150.

Or you can wait for the AM3 Phenom II X4 955 coming out on April 20th.

As for the Q9400/PII 940, the 940 is better than the 9400, and very slightly falls short of the Q9550. So if you're picking out of those 2, the 940 is the better choice.

You're also talking upgradeability. AM2+ is a dead socket, and LGA775 is offering no upgrade paths either unless you choose to upgrade your Q9400 with a Q9550 or Q9650.

The Radeon 4870 1gb is probably the best option for you right now, and you can always grab a second one for CF. Make sure you get a PSU that supports it.

zenoli

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Hm...the options become more complex rather than less. (And thanks for the suggestions.) So, revising the line-up, I might consider the cheaper angle (X3 720 with an AM3 board), or a more expensive i7 build.

Waiting would clearly drive prices down, but I'm getting pretty desperate for a decent system...holding out for the AM3-capable X4 would be painful.

The i7s certainly excite my lust, and it looks like I could pick up a 920 for $229. With the overclocking capability, it seems that the 920 is the sweet spot in the i7 line at the moment (and the rest of line quickly outdistances my pocketbook).

I've read some reviews of the lower-end X58 mobos, and haven't seen any enthusiastic endorsements thus far. Is there an i7-compatible board that will give good overclocking and Crossfire at a relatively low price point? A setup like that could provide some decent long-term potential for cheaper upgrades: more RAM, a second GPU, improved CPU, etc.

Thanks, and further thoughts appreciated.

The Third Level

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
Wheeeeere the hell do you see a 920 for 230? I see it at 280.
Plus 200 for an X58 mobo, DDR3, etc.

It seems you are on a budget, so I think you should stay away from the i7...to do it justice you would need to use a bit more cash.

zenoli

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I've got a Microcenter flyer in front of me for 3/16-3/29, with a one-per-customer, in-store price of $229.