Steam Tapping Into Intel's ID Protection Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

And what was that debacle with TPM, exactly? You mean the one where people got all up in arms about pretty much a nothing issue?

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Yes, I know ... "big brother". But I have to admit, this sound enticing if it prevents someone from jacking my account.

The only hack I see is if someone creates a hijack service man-in-the-middle type hack. It would require the victims PC to be on live in order to work though.

chriskrum

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]oh great, then i can't share my steam account with my friend and family. since its locked into a single PC.[/citation]

I think it will still work the same and you'll be able to share your accounts they way you always have. You'll be able to opt in to locking "account management" to a specific computer if you wish. That means some jerk can't hijack your account and change your passwords, spend your money, etc.

That is if I understand this correctly.

G

Good technology, this is the best DRM available and Intel has gained trust from content providers with this technology. Hopefully, content providers will be locked on Intel Powered Products since Intel is the standard for the most trusted secure platform. It's a great thing Intel owned the content providers.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]Sabiancym[/nom]How many big brother conspiracy theorists are going to bash this? Too many to count.[/citation]
Big Brother gets you when you least expect it. Through gaming!!! Muahahaha!!!

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008

Really? becuase it's shitty games that don't make me want to buy games =p

westerbamos

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Valve has revealed a new security measure for Steam called Stream Guard.
Time to go download a game on my Stream account with Stream Guard. That I can play through Stream. They have this thing called spell check you know...

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Users will be notified by Steam Guard if any PCs other than those authorized by them attempt to log into or modify their account settings

It seems that this will work one more than one PC (Im sure one at a time). You just get to control the short list.

fancarolina

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
[citation][nom]westerbamos[/nom]Time to go download a game on my Stream account with Stream Guard. That I can play through Stream. They have this thing called spell check you know...[/citation]

I'm confused Stream is spelled correctly. Spell checkers don't replace proof reading.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
[citation][nom]IzzyCraft[/nom]Really? becuase it's shitty games that don't make me want to buy games =p[/citation]

+1

Crysis 2 seems that it might fit this description. $60 for what exactly. Oh thats right its NOT a console port and the graphics are SOOO much better than the 1st one...

f-14

Distinguished
do not care i do not use steam and i never will. it's all console games nowdays anyways. there are private servers to get around this crap, you just have to install a hack from an unknown source to play these games.
i hope the communist's/nazi's at steam make it so the game can only be played from a specific processor ID linked to that game and kill off their user base!

Sgt Moo

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Those whining about DRM or big brother and all that, this is an OPTIONAL service, you don't have to use it, it's like the WoW logon keys, you dont have to use it, it's an option for peace of mind and security. Also I believe it's only account management that is restricted, you can still logon from any computer but you can only change passwords and email addy from a specific machine IF ACTIVATED

Gotta love how nubs only read what they want from an article

G

Lower the price of games, paying 60 bucks for a game that lasts 3 days is absurd.

I buy games that are used or older and cost less.

Errr. What they mean is they want to keep users from running Steam (and downloading their games) on more than one machine. And what happens if I upgrade my system? (new mobo, new CPU)

Can you turn this feature "off"?

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
...this is why I actually buy my games from a retailer. That's right, Steam fanboys; let's see your disk with ALL of your data on it that you can pop in and run any time you want. What's that? You don't have one? Awh...

chriskrum

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
[citation][nom]someguynamedmatt[/nom]...this is why I actually buy my games from a retailer. That's right, Steam fanboys; let's see your disk with ALL of your data on it that you can pop in and run any time you want. What's that? You don't have one? Awh...[/citation]

Yeah, not...

Those days are over, at least for new games. Most of those retail disks come with activation schemes that will likely render them useless at sometime in the future. Some of them (Ubisoft) are incredibly draconian.

I'd rather bet on the longevity of Valve than most other game producers.

G

I remember a time when Steam advertised itself as being able to run on any PC, and you were free to download your games as many times as you'd like.
So...what happened to that?

Status
Not open for further replies.