Question Still crashing while idle or watching videos, even after changing the GPU ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 25, 2022
Hey! I've been having this issue for a couple of months now where my computer just locks up and crashes usually when doing low stress tasks like watching youtube videos or discord streams or anything similar. A few times I've had it crash while gaming but it's pretty rare. The crashing is completely random it can go days without doing it. I'll open up a video and sometimes the whole computer will just lock up and I can't do anything but hold the reset button.

Sometimes it will hang for a minute and just reboot on it's own and all of this started happening when I bought a new RTX 3060 Ti. I honestly thought it was faulty so I RMA'd it after I got some advice from the Microsoft forums. Once I sent it back I started using my old GTX cards. A 1060 and a 970 which I had no issues previously with and didn't have any crashes once I returned the RTX card. I got my refund through and decided to buy a completely different model and brand of 3060 Ti from another retailer and of course as soon as I got it in my system it started randomly crashing again but not as much as it did with the first one.

Now I have had a few new Nvidia drivers since then but all the mini dumps seem to point towards video card drivers. I have ran Memtest a bunch with no errors. Disk checks seem to be fine and I've updated my BIOS and stuff. Tried disabling a bunch of things like link state power management in power plan options and setting it to full performance. I've also tried re installing drivers in safe mode with DDU and wiped my PC with a fresh install of Windows multiple times and no to avail. I saw a thread on reddit that this was an issue with 30 series cards that was apparently addressed a while back with driver updates and it seems like people are still running in to the same problems.

Everyone in this thread basically has the same issue as me and I'm surprised no one has found a fix for it View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/nsgtpz/computer_freezing_while_watching_youtube/hp9ozqe/?context=3

Links to my one drive with recent mini dump files from a few of the crashes if anyone can make sense of them. I honestly appreciate any time and help anyone can give me. I've been trying to sort this for weeks but I have no idea what to do.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhlNoV-5slVBkRFWZdVisi0bVFI5?e=v7Tb2Z
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhlNoV-5slVBkRLqKJCsQtoy8z3u?e=UhAHhn

My PC specs are:

Motherboard: Asus Prime z370-p ii
Intel Core i7 8700K OC'd at 4.8ghz
16GB Corsair RAM 3000Mhz XMP profile
Samsung Evo 860 500GB SSD
ASUS RTX 3060 Ti Dual fan OC version

Mar 25, 2022
PSU might not like idle loads. I was going to tell you all about how Ryzen react at idle but it doesn't apply as you have Intel.

Could just be showing its age.
I checked back on the reddit thread I posted in my original post and it seems that a bunch of people are saying this is still happening. Even after replacing the PSU. I'm starting to think it's some kind of fault with ASUS components and RTX 30 series. I will still try changing the PSU when I get the chance to buy one. I'll keep you updated though. (y)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Every PC is different, just cause one person has problem, doesn't mean you will. I have helped someone with identical parts to me but I have yet to have the same problems. I see problems all day I have never had.

Why not just use the 1080? At least it doesn't crash?
My last 4 motherboards were Asus, never had any problems... although others have.

Reactions: SlightlyMorbid
Mar 25, 2022
Every PC is different, just cause one person has problem, doesn't mean you will. I have helped someone with identical parts to me but I have yet to have the same problems. I see problems all day I have never had.

Why not just use the 1080? At least it doesn't crash?
My last 4 motherboards were Asus, never had any problems... although others have.
I just want to use a new 30 series card for RTX features in newer titles. This is the 2nd but different brand/model of card with the exact same problems so I will try the PSU replacement and hopefully it sorts it. I've got my fingers crossed.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wonder why I asked that question, I get why you would want to use the newer GPU but your PC doeesn't like that idea, so I guess I was asking on its behalf :)

IF PSU doesn't fix it, I will ask if anyone else has any smart ideas but all the crashes are pointing at GPU though anything is possible.

Mar 25, 2022
Did you figure it out? I'm basically going through the same crap.
I saw a lot of people mention it could be based on browser because like a year ago Nvidia patched an issue with this same problem where people would get this crash when browsing on Chrome. I was using Firefox and have since switched to Chrome and haven't had a crash since my last post. I also turned off hardware accelerated GPU scheduling in windows and in Chrome just for good measure. I'm not sure if this has solved the problem, I'm sceptical but I'm hopeful that's the end of it because I recently went back to trying Firefox again, loaded up Twitch and my PC just instantly crashed.

se7enX89X

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019
I saw a lot of people mention it could be based on browser because like a year ago Nvidia patched an issue with this same problem where people would get this crash when browsing on Chrome. I was using Firefox and have since switched to Chrome and haven't had a crash since my last post. I also turned off hardware accelerated GPU scheduling in windows and in Chrome just for good measure. I'm not sure if this has solved the problem, I'm sceptical but I'm hopeful that's the end of it because I recently went back to trying Firefox again, loaded up Twitch and my PC just instantly crashed.

I'm going through the same thing right now. I have a 3080 and decided to upgrade to windows 11 and almost immediately started getting crashes and it always happens while on Youtube. Went back to Windows 10 and still getting crashes probably once a day. I was using Chrome and decided to try Firefox and still crashed. I've tried reinstalling video drivers and still crash. Don't know what to do.

How long have you been using the same Windows installation?

Perhaps is about time to backup all the important information/data/movies/music/docs/etc and do a fresh clean install of windows and drivers. I would download the drivers from the nvidia/amd/intel websites, since this seems to always be the newer ones.

While doing this avoid installing any GPU/CPU/RGB tweaker/etc piece of crap software.

Use your brand new clean Windows installation without those crappy software for at least a month and see how it goes.

Mar 25, 2022
Just had another PC lock up while watching Youtube. Been a while since the last crash so I've decided to dip into savings and purchase a new PSU. I picked up a 850W Corsair RM850x and will report if I experience more crashes in the future.

May 21, 2021
This sounds like the low power logic fault that the rtx 30 series is known for. I have helped multiple people with this issue on this forum. The work around is to disable any power saving features in the nvidia control panel. See if that helps, if it does then you can return that psu, it’s an inherent flaw in Nvidia’s design that is causing this.

Mar 25, 2022
This sounds like the low power logic fault that the rtx 30 series is known for. I have helped multiple people with this issue on this forum. The work around is to disable any power saving features in the nvidia control panel. See if that helps, if it does then you can return that psu, it’s an inherent flaw in Nvidia’s design that is causing this.
I've seen a handful of people mention this on other forums. Do you know which power saving features in the Nvidia control panel I should try disabling? Cheers.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The only setting I see in there that mentions power is "Power management Mode" and I expect setting it to "Prefer Maximum Power" is about only way to turn off any power saving features. That is under Manage 3d settings.

se7enX89X

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019
I think I fixed my crashing issue and I'm not sure which fix I tried accomplished it but here is what I did
-Undervolted my 3080 using Afterburner
-Reseated my ram
-Went into bios and manually typed in my rams OC instead of just enabling XMP
-Used DDU cleared nvidia driver and then installed 472.12 driver
-Updated Nvidia Audio Driver using a program called "Avast Driver Updater" which scans all your drivers and lets you know which ones need to be updated and then will update them for you if you want.

For now my crashing issue seems to be fixed (knock on wood) after doing one of or multiple of these things. Not sure which.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Updated Nvidia Audio Driver using a program called "Avast Driver Updater" which scans all your drivers and lets you know which ones need to be updated and then will update them for you if you want.
3rd party driver updaters can and will install the wrong software on PC.
You much better off going to the maker of the hardware instead of using a program like Avast driver updater or Driver Booster or any of them. Its a shame Microsoft don't make updating drivers easier as that would put them all out of a job.

Why you using drivers from Sept? seems odd that the driver updater only saw the Sound drivers as old and not the GPU drivers themselves.

You much better off going to the maker of the hardware instead of using a program like Avast driver updater or Driver Booster or any of them. Its a shame Microsoft don't make updating drivers easier as that would put them all out of a job.

Why you using drivers from Sept? seems odd that the driver updater only saw the Sound drivers as old and not the GPU drivers themselves.

Indeed it does.

se7enX89X

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019

I purposely installed the older driver just to see if the latest Nvidia driver was possibly the issue. The driver updater had nothing to do with it but I am now using the latest Nvidia driver after determining the newer driver wasn't the issue. The only driver I updated with Avast was the audio driver which was out of date.

Mar 25, 2022
I just wanted to provide a little update to my issues in this thread.

I've not had a crash for quite a while. Since the last time I mentioned in this post. I'm not sure if it was from the power management mode being changed or from constant Nvidia driver updates which possibly ironed out the problem. I really don't know. All I know is that the issue seems to be gone for now. Hopefully anyone who has the same problem can get some help from this thread.

Reactions: Colif

escape75

Honorable
Apr 15, 2016
It was the setting that said prefer max performance that fixed it for you …

I have an RTX3060 LHR on an H510 chipset that does the same thing,
only way to fix is enable Max Perf, rollback driver to 472.xx or use the card on an H410 chipset for example.

It’s all garbage fixes, the Max perf uses 30 watts more, increasing idle temps by 10 degrees.

Working with MSI and NVIDIA, maybe they can finally answer why this is happening.

Mar 25, 2022
It was the setting that said prefer max performance that fixed it for you …

I have an RTX3060 LHR on an H510 chipset that does the same thing,
only way to fix is enable Max Perf, rollback driver to 472.xx or use the card on an H410 chipset for example.

It’s all garbage fixes, the Max perf uses 30 watts more, increasing idle temps by 10 degrees.

Working with MSI and NVIDIA, maybe they can finally answer why this is happening.
Good to know. Yeah, you're right because now that I think of it the last thing I changed was the power management mode and haven't had a single crash since.

TRENDING THREADS