[SOLVED] Storage Server offline again...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Hello, so my janky storage nas went offline. I noticed the web interface said the HDD went offline before the nas went offline entirely, which is likely due to the way its plugged into the optical bay and the SATA data cable likes to fall out.

I took the hdd out and plugged it into my PC just to ensure the data is still there. Nothing shows in file explorer, however, disk management shows the drive fine.

How can I assign the drive a letter and make sure no data is destroyed? The option to assign a letter is greyed out.

I believe the drive is formatted for Linux or something due to the OS on the nas.

@USAFRet

Solution
Follow the instructions in my FAQ. It tells you which components to examine and provides you with a possible zero-cost DIY solution.

At least tell us the model number of the HDD, or preferably upload a photo of the component side of the PCB. The screws are most likely Torx 6 or similar.

If you have a multimeter, connect the adapter cable to the PSU, but not the HDD. Now measure the voltage at the SATA pins. This should tell you whether the adapter is correctly wired.

https://pinoutguide.com/Power/sata-power_pinout.shtml
Well, i bought the cheapest psu i could find.

$9 300w HIPRO unit with a power cable. I bought it from a good friend, so i knew it works.

Its the exact same model psu as the one i turned into a bench psu.

It works and shouldn't cause issues.

Last edited: