[SOLVED] Strange HDD Speed Differences?

Jul 3, 2020
I have been running CrystalDiskMark against my collection of HDDs with surprising results - well to me anyway.
Five of them report 40MB/s read and write and one 120MB/s. Yet all tested in the same IcyBox USB3 exterior hard drive caddy plugged into a blue USB3 port on my PC running Windows 10. Two identical year 2016 2TB Toshibas report 40 and 120MB/s.
None of the disks are full, and they are all defragmented.
Can anyone think of a reason why the disks might differ?

Solution
Format can make a difference, I would compare the two identical drives.
Next i would check both drives SMART with CrystalDiskInfo. Things like reallocated sectors will slow your drive down if it's in the area being tested.
Then i would check the partition(s) and their locations on the drive. Partitions on the inner tracks will be much slower then partitions on the outer tracks.

popatim

Titan
Format can make a difference, I would compare the two identical drives.
Next i would check both drives SMART with CrystalDiskInfo. Things like reallocated sectors will slow your drive down if it's in the area being tested.
Then i would check the partition(s) and their locations on the drive. Partitions on the inner tracks will be much slower then partitions on the outer tracks.

Reactions: DavyS
Solution
Jul 3, 2020
Sorry guys I made a mistake; all the disk put into my Icy Box USB3 caddy run at 40MB/s - the 120MB/s disk that CrystalDiskMark measured was internal and on SATA.
I thinks 40MB/s is USB2 speed so it seems that my USB3 caddy is running at USB2. I suspect my motherboard Gigabyte GA-H81M-S2V. The windows USB3 driver is bang up to date.