Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 6, 2022
Hey guys!

I've had a strange issue with stuttering on my PC for a while now.
It happens regardless of what is or isn't running, and starts on my desktop a few minutes after boot. It isn't just a visual stutter, it's the whole PC hitching. My evidence of this is both the audio and the video stop and restart at the same time.
I've recorded two brief videos of the issue. One of my cursor on a plain black desktop background. I spun my cursor in circles, so you can see whenever it stops for a second, that's a hitch. I also recorded a video playing the intro cutscene to a game so you can also get the audio aspect to it.
View: https://youtu.be/tcsLEh0wGzY

View: https://youtu.be/2hRQwvwjfXA

Here's the really weird part: It only happens when I boot my PC sometimes. So, I have what I've been calling "Good boots" and "Bad boots." If I turn on my PC for the day and the stutter starts, I got a bad boot. The stutter will go on until forever I restart my PC an undefined number of times. Once I boot up and go a few minutes without the stutter, I have a good boot. The stutter never starts until a restart the PC again. So, I been leaving my PC running overnight on "good boots" a lot.

System Specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
Version 10.0.22000 Build 22000
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name FLUFFY-PC
System Manufacturer System manufacturer
System Model System Product Name
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU SKU
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor, 3800 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2203, 4/11/2019
SMBIOS Version 3.1
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Product ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO (WI-FI)
BaseBoard Version Rev 1.xx
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume3
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.22000.778"
User Name FLUFFY-PC\chubb
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 64.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 63.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 56.0 GB
Total Virtual Memory 72.8 GB
Available Virtual Memory 62.5 GB
Page File Space 8.87 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Running
Virtualization-based security Required Security Properties
Virtualization-based security Available Security Properties Base Virtualization Support, Secure Boot, DMA Protection, UEFI Code Readonly
Virtualization-based security Services Configured
Virtualization-based security Services Running
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
A hypervisor has been detected. Features required for Hyper-V will not be displayed.

Hey guys!

I've had a strange issue with stuttering on my PC for a while now.
It happens regardless of what is or isn't running, and starts on my desktop a few minutes after boot. It isn't just a visual stutter, it's the whole PC hitching. My evidence of this is both the audio and the video stop and restart at the same time.
I've recorded two brief videos of the issue. One of my cursor on a plain black desktop background. I spun my cursor in circles, so you can see whenever it stops for a second, that's a hitch. I also recorded a video playing the intro cutscene to a game so you can also get the audio aspect to it.
View: https://youtu.be/tcsLEh0wGzY

View: https://youtu.be/2hRQwvwjfXA

Here's the really weird part: It only happens when I boot my PC sometimes. So, I have what I've been calling "Good boots" and "Bad boots." If I turn on my PC for the day and the stutter starts, I got a bad boot. The stutter will go on until forever I restart my PC an undefined number of times. Once I boot up and go a few minutes without the stutter, I have a good boot. The stutter never starts until a restart the PC again. So, I been leaving my PC running overnight on "good boots" a lot.

System Specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
Version 10.0.22000 Build 22000
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name FLUFFY-PC
System Manufacturer System manufacturer
System Model System Product Name
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU SKU
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor, 3800 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2203, 4/11/2019
SMBIOS Version 3.1
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Product ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO (WI-FI)
BaseBoard Version Rev 1.xx
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume3
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.22000.778"
User Name FLUFFY-PC\chubb
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 64.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 63.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 56.0 GB
Total Virtual Memory 72.8 GB
Available Virtual Memory 62.5 GB
Page File Space 8.87 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Running
Virtualization-based security Required Security Properties
Virtualization-based security Available Security Properties Base Virtualization Support, Secure Boot, DMA Protection, UEFI Code Readonly
Virtualization-based security Services Configured
Virtualization-based security Services Running
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
A hypervisor has been detected. Features required for Hyper-V will not be displayed.
Proper bios and mobo drivers?

Jul 6, 2022
Another issue, I can't update my BIOS. every time I try and use the bios flash tool, it tells me the .cap file I got from the ASUS website isn't a BIOS file. So, if A bios update would fix my issue, my bios won't let me update

Jul 6, 2022
So I had to update to the bios version directly after the one I had before it'd let me jump to the most recent. But now that my bios is updated, I'm still experiencing the issue.
I'm having some trouble with the mobo drivers. Not to be an idiot, but I'm not sure where to check what version I currently have, and as far as updating using Armoury Crate goes, the "device and component" updates for my Mobo just.. wont install. I click the install button, it flashes. Nothing happens.

Jul 6, 2022
This could be a number of things, bad hardwrare, drivers, windows, useless software (like RGB apps) or a combination of those.

Run userbenchmark (https://www.userbenchmark.com/) and post the result link here so we can click on it and see the full tests/results.

Also:
- Check your CPU and GPU temps
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/53738664

Here you go sir!
If it does turn out to be software (which I guess is possible but I doubt) would there be any explanation as to why it only happens when I turn on my PC sometimes? To reiterate from my OP. If I turn on my PC and the hitching doesn't start within say, 10 minutes, it will never start. If it DOES start within 10 or so minutes, it will never stop until I reboot. And this happens if I just do nothing and wait.

So I had to update to the bios version directly after the one I had before it'd let me jump to the most recent. But now that my bios is updated, I'm still experiencing the issue.
I'm having some trouble with the mobo drivers. Not to be an idiot, but I'm not sure where to check what version I currently have, and as far as updating using Armoury Crate goes, the "device and component" updates for my Mobo just.. wont install. I click the install button, it flashes. Nothing happens.
For now just verify the chipset driver.
That you can find in 'programs and features'.

Armoury crate....no idea I have no stick time with that.

Jul 6, 2022
I was about to write that, clean up both drivers! and see if issue its fixed. Let us know.
Gotcha, I'm cleaning them up now, but I'll probably give it another day before I reply due to how random it is replicating this. Want to make sure.

That looks good.

Just to get started on what UBM shows.

Your 960 and 970 disk are way to full.
You want to maintain 10+% free space.
You have a mishmash of ram get a kit of 3200 or 3600 ram.
Also yeah, I am probably due for new ram; but what do you mean by mishmash? It's all the same brand and model bought at the same time. The only difference might be lot number due to an RMAI had to get on one dud stick. But I'm not mixing ram or anything.

Gotcha, I'm cleaning them up now, but I'll probably give it another day before I reply due to how random it is replicating this. Want to make sure.

Also yeah, I am probably due for new ram; but what do you mean by mishmash? It's all the same brand and model bought at the same time. The only difference might be lot number due to an RMAI had to get on one dud stick. But I'm not mixing ram or anything.
Unless it all came as one kit it's a mishmash.
A kit is one part number containing all the sticks.
Just because they are the same brand and lot number means nothing.
Not to mention it looks like they are running at 2133 speed which won't help perf.

Also theres the "Very high background CPU (40%). High background CPU reduces benchmark accuracy. "

Which could be related to the over used drives, or to some malware, or too many usless apps on the background when userbenchmark test was run.

Jul 6, 2022
So, it's been a day, I cleaned up my drives, got my bios and mobo drivers updated.
Still happening. I can buy more ram later, need a bit of time to save up since I'm just coming out of a vacation trip.
The new ram is definitely not a bad idea, but as far as fixing this problem, I'm not sure it's the cause. Besides the fact that sometimes if I restart my PC enough it'll just never happen till I restart again, there's also the fact this issue is new and the ram isn't. Though I suppose there's the change it can be going bad? Something further I can look into I suppose.

So, it's been a day, I cleaned up my drives, got my bios and mobo drivers updated.
Still happening. I can buy more ram later, need a bit of time to save up since I'm just coming out of a vacation trip.
The new ram is definitely not a bad idea, but as far as fixing this problem, I'm not sure it's the cause. Besides the fact that sometimes if I restart my PC enough it'll just never happen till I restart again, there's also the fact this issue is new and the ram isn't. Though I suppose there's the change it can be going bad? Something further I can look into I suppose.

If the issue is new, meaning for example 1 month ago you never had this issue, then either you installed a new piece of software thats affecting the performance, or theres some piece of hardware going bad.

Jul 6, 2022
If the issue is new, meaning for example 1 month ago you never had this issue, then either you installed a new piece of software thats affecting the performance, or theres some piece of hardware going bad.
You're probably right. I just have no idea what it is. But I suppose I'll have to do process of elimination on my own. I'm definitely going to get new ram after another paycheck or two whether it's the problem or not. Otherwise I'll look through my recent programs and see if I can't find the culprit.

Thanks for getting me this far everyone!

Reactions: RodroX
Jul 6, 2022
We'll, I don't really know what else to try or say, but I actually got brand new RAM in, I got my install drive's space cleared up.
It still happens.
Sorry fellas. Is there any other guesses?

Jul 6, 2022
Just to see what it looks like now.
Download UBM......user benchmark.

Reboot.
Wait a few mins.
Run UBM with the browser closed.
Post a LINK to the results.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/53903190
So before even getting into this, My new 3600mhz RAM is running at 2133 and I really do not know why. I read something about enabling an XMP profile in my BIOS but that is not an option I can locate.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/53903190
So before even getting into this, My new 3600mhz RAM is running at 2133 and I really do not know why. I read something about enabling an XMP profile in my BIOS but that is not an option I can locate.
It might not be labeled xmp.
It could be call docp.

Do make sure you have the ram in the proper slots.

You have a mess of background stuff running.
Make your startup group skinny.

Reactions: RodroX
Jul 6, 2022
It might not be labeled xmp.
It could be call docp.

Do make sure you have the ram in the proper slots.

You have a mess of background stuff running.
Make your startup group skinny.
Found the docp setting. Turned it on. Rebooted and went back to BIOS again to get these screenies confirming that I set DOCP but my frequency is still running at 2133.
Trimmed my startup programs a bit. Still left a few because I do use a lot of that stuff daily, but I did trim a good few. I can run benchmark again, but I still don't get what's going on with the RAM.

As for putting my RAM in Right, I got both DIMMS in A2 and B2 respectively. The only way my PC will boot. For some reason that's the primary group.

Found the docp setting. Turned it on. Rebooted and went back to BIOS again to get these screenies confirming that I set DOCP but my frequency is still running at 2133.
Trimmed my startup programs a bit. Still left a few because I do use a lot of that stuff daily, but I did trim a good few. I can run benchmark again, but I still don't get what's going on with the RAM.

As for putting my RAM in Right, I got both DIMMS in A2 and B2 respectively. The only way my PC will boot. For some reason that's the primary group.
No idea how to set docp perhaps someone will be along to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.