Jun 13, 2022
Hi!

I'm running a Ryzen setup on an A320M mobo (to be specific, a Gigabyte A320M-S2H with 2 DIMM slots). Normally, I run 12GB of RAM with a 4GB stick (lets call this one stick A) and a 8GB stick.
So a while ago, I was just playing a game on my PC with no issues until the PC froze. I decided to hit the reset button, but then my PC wouldn't even hit the post screen. I tried to swap the arrangement of my two ram sticks and also tried to boot the PC with just one of each at a time on both slots to no avail. I then pulled out a single spare 4GB stick I had (lets call this one stick B because it's identical to the 4GB stick I ran normally), and on its own, the PC booted normally into Windows. I then tried it with Stick A, then it ended up booting normally as well. But when I tried it with my 8GB stick, it booted normally but Windows and my BIOS reported the 8GB stick as a 4GB only, so instead of having 12GB as I normally would, I only had 8.

Now the issue gets even stranger here.
I swapped out the 8GB stick again for Stick A, but unlike the first time I combo'd Stick B with Stick A, the PC wouldn't post at all. So then I switched it back to the Stick B + 8GB configuration, but for some odd reason, this configuration only works if Stick B is on the left and the 8GB stick is on the right. If I were to swap their positions, the PC would not post. But for some reason, the PC would happily boot normally with Stick B regardless of which DIMM slot I throw stick B in.

So my main question is this: Is it the motherboard's DIMM slots that are damaged? Or is it the original pair of RAM sticks that I ran with?

Just to repeat:
Stick A = My original 4GB RAM stick
Stick B = A spare 4GB RAM stick that is identical to Stick A.

Colif

Win 11 Master
tried starting pc with no ram in?
obviously it won't work but it might force it map the ram again on startup once you have some in pc - might mean it restarts once or twice on 1st attempt

worth a try.

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the problems. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it, just to make it.

Jun 13, 2022
tried starting pc with no ram in?
obviously it won't work but it might force it map the ram again on startup once you have some in pc - might mean it restarts once or twice on 1st attempt

worth a try.

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the problems. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it, just to make it.
Thank you! I'll try Memtest out. Somehow the original configuration of RAM sticks suddenly booted normally again, so I'll check to see if there are any errors.

TRENDING THREADS