Question Strange problem with second M.2 SSD in Omen Laptop

Jul 9, 2023
This is a weird issue I've been having with my 2023 Omen 16 gaming laptop that I had opened to install a second NVME drive, which I used successfully for a period of at least 5-6 months. After which, however, I had to momentarily remove the battery (for applying the cable fix to the well-known malfuction of this model's touchpad, which is a whole other story, but anyways...) So what happend then is that, while obtaining my intended purpose, I also unexplectedly lost the ability to use a drive in the second slot. It doesn't even show up in the BIOS, nevermind Windows Disk Management. I tried:

- Formatting, repartitioning the drive by employment of another PC, still doesn't show up

- Using a different NVME- Reseating and cleaning the contacts

- Swapping the two drives between their slot. The Omen doesn't even post if you only have a drive installed on the second slot.

I didn't touch anything else within the laptop's hardware and I'm sure I haven't damaged it, so my only residual theory is that the BIOS options somehow "reset" on power loss, thus changing something for the worse. OFC with HP's limited bios for the end-user, this is even impossible to check. Does an advanced mode even exist for my model? I don't think so. I don't want to RMA the product at this moment, because I need on a daily basis and besides I'll probably just install a larger SSD in the main slot, that I'll purchase soon. But still, I'd certainly like to know what happened and/or try to find a fix!

Jul 9, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Did you check to see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates? As for your NVMe drive, what is the make and model of the drive in question?
Yeah it's the latest BIOS version, as updated by the included HP software. The NVMe drive I used the longest before my problem was this:

But I also tested this one:

And I guess we can list the included drive that I briefly moved to the second slot, which was (I think) some 1TB model from WD. None were detected by the BIOS and/or Windows in any whichever way.

TRENDING THREADS