Jul 25, 2021
Hey guys:

I have been searching this issue online for one week. It took me a lot of time while I am still in search of the solution.

MOBO: Quanta Winterfell dual x79 server motherboard. Came as double nodes.(So 2 motherboards, each with 2 cpus)
CPU: e5 2670 v2 *4
RAM: Samsung ddr3 reg ecc server memory. Slim version. PC3L.
All of them are second-handed.

I have tested the CPU and RAMs on other MOBOs, and they work fine with no issues.

The problem is about the memory slots. There are 8 memory slots near one CPU, with 4 on each sides. So there are 16 slots on one motherboard, and 32 in total.
When I plug in memory on slots near CPU 0 (the one away from PSU), I can enter the system and everything works as normal. But as long as I plug in memory on the slots near CPU 1, whether there are any RAMs present on CPU 0 or not, I cannot go into BIOS. Only the black screen. What's even more strange - the two mobos have the same issue!

I tried to swap RAMs and CPUs. I also blew the dust with wind-blowing machine. But the same issue still happens.
So it makes me think perhaps there's a setting in BIOS that deactivates the B0-B7 slots, and I need to set it back. But I don't know for sure.
I also tried to clear my cmos setting by unplugging the button battery, but still the same issue.

If it's not the BIOS, then worse case senario the memory slots are broken. But it seems too coincident to be true since these 2 mobos behave exactly the same. Besides, when i check it in BIOS, it seems the BIOS recognizes these slots by showing the status of DIMM Slots A0 - A7, B0 - B7. If the slots are broken, then they won't even appear on BIOS, right?

Best,
wcl

Jul 25, 2021
Have you tried one stick in each or the slots for CPU 0 to see if it will post in any of them?

Yep. I can plug any number of sticks to any slots in any order near CPU0, but as long as I put one near CPU1, no matter which slots, it turns out to be black screen. I can't see BIOS. No keyboard response received.

Jul 25, 2021
This a kind of issue that should be easily explained by motherboard manual. Did you buy the boards without manual? Then you have a problem as I don't see any available on the web.

That's a really sad story, dude. I know there's little information about this server mobo on the internet and that's why I came here for help. This is a second-hand mobo so I don't have the manual and I can't even find it online.

Next step I plan to buy a mobo beeper and test what may cause the issue.

Jul 25, 2021
Updated the BIOS and all firmwares?
Not much more you can do without MB manual.

That's good suggestion. I never updated BIOS, and I heard that there's a risk of burning the bios chip. So it might be my final-step consideration. But first of all, I need to even find a bios for my antique buddy.