LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022
Hi,
I' m a bit confused about 2 ssd that I use.
1, the wd blue(I will call like this) of arround 500GB do not reach the speed it shuld but that is probably because on a old pc with an old sata port, the max speed I ve ever seen was 150MB/s, but the strange thing is not this but that while transfer big ammount of data like more then 500MB it work at arround 30MB/s and after some min it block totally(with a not responsive system) for then restart work at the same speed.

My uncle say that is the buffer but I never heard about buffer memory in ssd.
the 2nd instead is a samsung q860 evo(1TB) or something like that, and till I installed it I was really satisfed, then curious of the speed it actually could reach I ve done some test with the softwer from samsung, called magic something and there the strenge over the physics thing.

I have with the samsung ssd a z690 tomahawk and an intel i 5 9600k with a max speed of 4.6ghz on cores and the chace is at 4.7(standard), one day after all the test in the days befor where regular, I ve seen on the same software that the estimed speed was something like 1900MB/s from the regular 700+MB/s, I ve gone on the official site and the speed should be 750MB/s as it told me every time.

Then I downloaded another app worried in a samsung magician faliure, the app is like crystal disk and crystal disk bench, started the bench also this software told me the same, so I opened the task manager, started the bench and task menager had a spike of an outstanding and absolutly fake 4GB/s from the disk.
Now I m ok with the samsung one, it work well but why I have the wd blue that suck and the samsung that pretend to be an nveme?

LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022
The WD Blue may just be faulty.

For the 860 EVO, do you have RAPID mode enabled, in Samsung Magician?
for the wd I didn t said that the first month was pretty fast but now is almost an hdd, for task like start the pc or open an app is fast, but in the loading things as said, like copy a file from a part to another is slow and it block.
Does ssd could have problem of buffer?
For the samsung is enabled RAPID and TRIM in the voice of perfomance, and for checking error(I think) is enabled the SMART

USAFRet

Titan
for the wd I didn t said that the first month was pretty fast but now is almost an hdd, for task like start the pc or open an app is fast, but in the loading things as said, like copy a file from a part to another is slow and it block.
Does ssd could have problem of buffer?
For the samsung is enabled RAPID and TRIM in the voice of perfomance, and for checking error(I think) is enabled the SMART
RAPID mode is specifically why it is testing "faster" than what it should be.
That is a SATA III drive, and should report around 530-550MB/s.

The RAPID mode is using part of your RAM as a cache for the drive, and the performance test is mostly reading the speed of your RAM, not the drive.

I'll bet if you turned that OFF, you wouldn't notice a difference.
I didn't.

LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022
RAPID mode is specifically why it is testing "faster" than what it should be.
That is a SATA III drive, and should report around 530-550MB/s.

The RAPID mode is using part of your RAM as a cache for the drive, and the performance test is mostly reading the speed of your RAM, not the drive.

I'll bet if you turned that OFF, you wouldn't notice a difference.
I didn't.
oh cool, is a samsung propietary thing or is a sata protocol?
btw thanks