Question Stupid Question: Can windows 10 update corrupt softwares in graphics card (or monitor)?

CanYouHelp

Honorable
Aug 10, 2014
Hi!

I'm getting "no signal" with my MSI 1660 Ti graphics card after windows 10 update.

I'm wondering if the windows 10 update (or OS in general) can write to graphics card or monitor firmware? I understands its possible that the windows driver (which lives on HDD) for my graphics card / monitor is corrupted, but even with a new motherboard and HDD disconnected, I am still getting "no signal". This indicates graphics card / monitor is corrupted. How is this even possible??

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 14196

It can’t mess with the firmware just the software and driver that drives the hardware. They are located in the window system directory usually

CanYouHelp

Honorable
Aug 10, 2014
It can’t mess with the firmware just the software and driver that drives the hardware. They are located in the window system directory usually

Ok I figured this is the case. Thanks for confirming. But I'm now back to the original issue - no signal after windows 10 update.

I'm very puzzled by this. My Ryzen 2700x doesn't have onboard video card, so I can only test with my 1660 ti graphics. I've already tried swapping to a new motherboard, disconnecting the ssd, re-inserting the 2x ram sticks (one at a time)... still can't get any signal to the monitor. The system feels like its running fine.

My motherboard comes with EZ Debug LEDs for memory, cpu, graphics, and boot. But none of the LEDs are glowing. No indication where the issue could be.

CanYouHelp

Honorable
Aug 10, 2014
What probably happened is windows installed the wrong driver for at least in your case it was the wrong driver. I would use the DDU utility on a USB stick and boot to safe mode and remove all your video drivers. Then reboot and install the one that you had installed before Windows update

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

hmm but I can't event boot into BIOS, with or without the SSD. If the wrong driver is installed on the ssd, then after disconnecting it, I should be able to boot at least into BIOS right? argghh this is so frustrating lol

CanYouHelp

Honorable
Aug 10, 2014
Another wild theory... is it possible the windows 10 update corrupted some <Mod Edit> and forced the computer to run a 100% utilization cpu/graphics and somehow strained the PSU and actually damaged it?

Last edited by a moderator: