[SOLVED] Stutter freeze restarts when touching my GPU

TheoNord

Prominent
Aug 4, 2020
I've been working on a problem with my system for about two weeks now.
It started with random restarts where audio and video stuttered before the system shut down and rebooted. My system's anti surge detected surges twice. But that was like 2/20 restarts.
I bought a new PSU and new ram since i suspected that was the cause. But after gaining new info over time i found out that if i touched cables in my rig that it caused the restarts. I removed the fan controll (which originally caused reboot when touched) and thought i fixed the problem and thought it was because of a fried fan controller. But then it happened when i touched a SATA cable connected to my SSD. Now i've narrowed it down to only reset once i touch my GPU but this is where my "progress" stops. I am not experienced when it comes to rigs and building but i know the basics and get help from others that know more. All temperatures are fine in my rig. Even after removing all fans it still had acceptable temperatures.

I've tried re installing my gpu and switching power cables but it does not help at all. Even the slightest touch makes it restart. The graphic card is about 7 months old and i've had no issue with it until these random restarts (And i am not even sure that the GPU is the problem). But i've checked all cables and everything is connected.
Please help. I have not encountered this problem before and cant find much info about it online.

SPECS:
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING
CPU: Intel I7 6700K
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080
PSU: Corsair RM750W
RAM: HyperX 16gb

Solution
missing stand off screws for atx is not good could be .
Yup you must put washers and screws on all mobo holes and make sure you connected the pins for grounding and restart and HD and so on properly. Check the connection on the graphics card that the power is givin and tightly fitted.

At this point if your still getting issues it could be a driver problem before we blame the physical video card. Try running DDU DIsplay Driver Uninstaller in safe mode and do a clean and restart then in normal mode go ahead and install latest graphics drivers and let us know what happens. Good Luck 🤷‍♀️😷✝

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
missing stand off screws for atx is not good could be .
Yup you must put washers and screws on all mobo holes and make sure you connected the pins for grounding and restart and HD and so on properly. Check the connection on the graphics card that the power is givin and tightly fitted.

At this point if your still getting issues it could be a driver problem before we blame the physical video card. Try running DDU DIsplay Driver Uninstaller in safe mode and do a clean and restart then in normal mode go ahead and install latest graphics drivers and let us know what happens. Good Luck 🤷‍♀️😷✝

Solution

TheoNord

Prominent
Aug 4, 2020

Found the issue. The GPU port i was using caused the issue. I moved the GPU to a higher port and now everything works fine. I suspect the fan control (which was mounted behind the GPU on the backside of the case) caused crashes because when we touched the fan control we actually moved the GPU slightly.

Suspected reason for the GPU port causing crashes is probably because of GPU weight over time has caused strain on the port resulting in it being broken (I've never stripped my GPU to the case so its always been hanging). Big reason to strip the power cables on the GPU to the case to prevent strain on the ports :)

BTW: What do you mean by "washers"?

TRENDING THREADS