[SOLVED] Stuttering in most games with a capable system.

Oct 23, 2019
I'm having the issue of stuttering in most of the games i play, some of the games have them often, some less often, but the problem persists.
I record having some sparse stutters all the way from half life to some of the more modern titles like MW2019. It's been going on for over a year, and i can not for the life of me figure out why. Some of the games seem to be stutter-free aswell, to add to the chaos.

Have tried almost all of the tricks in the book, but do suggest everything that comes into your mind. Maybe second time's the charm this time around?

Specs:
  • I5-9500F (yes, the 9500, not the 9400)
  • Asrock B365M Phantom Gaming 4
  • EVGA GTX 1060 SC with some manual extra oc on top, card gets really hot, up to 86degC)
  • 500GB 970EVO Plus, MW2019 stuttering on it.
  • 2TB HDD
  • RipJaws V 2666mhz DDR4 Ram sticks, 2 kits of 2x4gb. Might be an issue? but no games to test whether ram is an issue or not.
  • 650w something PSU
Also, is this the right sub for this?

Solution
A couple of ideas:
A)You're thread limited in some of these games. Intel's non-hyperthreaded cpus suffer from high frame time spikes when they are fully loaded, which can cause stutter.
If you are playing Warzone, your cpu definitely doesn't have enough threads. You have to cap the fps.

B)Some games behave rather funky - ones running on Rockstar's RAGE engine come to mind. They stutter when the fps exceeds a certain range - I think it's 150fps for GTA V? Cap the fps lower than 150.

Oh... both of my ideas have you capping the fps lower, so that's just one, actually.

EVGA GTX 1060 SC with some manual extra oc on top, card gets really hot, up to 86degC
Remove that overclock. That's just making things worse when it's basically...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
A couple of ideas:
A)You're thread limited in some of these games. Intel's non-hyperthreaded cpus suffer from high frame time spikes when they are fully loaded, which can cause stutter.
If you are playing Warzone, your cpu definitely doesn't have enough threads. You have to cap the fps.

B)Some games behave rather funky - ones running on Rockstar's RAGE engine come to mind. They stutter when the fps exceeds a certain range - I think it's 150fps for GTA V? Cap the fps lower than 150.

Oh... both of my ideas have you capping the fps lower, so that's just one, actually.

EVGA GTX 1060 SC with some manual extra oc on top, card gets really hot, up to 86degC
Remove that overclock. That's just making things worse when it's basically sitting in thermal throttle territory - it's 3C over!
These cards are temperature sensitive. You don't have the thermal headroom to be overclocking it.
Plus it's a 1060? That screams either poor chassis airflow, or the thermal paste on the card has dried up.

Now I have to question whether your cpu is hitting 100C or not...

Solution
Oct 23, 2019
Plus it's a 1060? That screams either poor chassis airflow, or the thermal paste on the card has dried up.

Now I have to question whether your cpu is hitting 100C or not...
Thanks for the ideas, the non-hyperthread thing came as a surprise.

Airflow in my pc is rather nice, with 3 fans, 2 in and 1 out (or vice-versa). It's just a single fan factory overclocked 1060 which probably has seen somewhere around 91deg the one time i forgot to turn its fan on.
And i have a bit of manual oc on it aswell.
Sounds like cancer, but it seems to function, and the gpu really doesnt seem to be the issue :I
I dont really have a different card to test this theory, so you could be correct.
Cpu is quite cool. Around 60deg while intense gaming, if i can recall.