CreepyNinja

Reputable
Jan 15, 2017
I recently bought a used Vega 64 from Gigabyte (silver edition) for 300 euros (it still has 20 months waranty, so i can ask for a new card), i went for it because you cant deny it, its a hell of a deal! Especially for me because i had a R9 390, so its a massive upgrade. The problem i am having is that when the card is like 2/3 minutes under heavy load (like a stress test, or heavy game), my both monitors suddenly get a black screen (for 3-5 seconds) then i get back to where i was with no error message, also my windows get all messed up after that. It literally looks like i would pull out the graphics cables (displayport and hdmi->vga in my case) and then quickly put them back in. If the card stays under full load (stress test), this happens a lot of times in a rapid succesion, until i shut the stress test. Also this effect kicks in after about 2 or 3 minutes, before that everything is completally fine. Right now i have 2 theories; 1: My psu is 750W (bronze) and the recomendation for this card is 800W, also a thing that not helps is that i run a FX 8350 OC'ed to 4.3GHz (i raised the voltage 2 times, i dont remember exact voltage). And no, before you ask the CPU doesnt (didnt) bottleneck yet, it stays on about 80-90% when the card is constant 100%, the solution i would have for this is: my friend offered me his new (not even used) corsair 1000W Platinum PSU for 100 euros. This might fix the issue (probably would) but i am not 100% sure about that. My second theory is: The card is broken, and thats all on the second theory. So what do you guys think? Just get the PSU, solve the issue perhaps, and if not kinda future proof myself, or ask for a replacement card? Or perhaps someone will have a own maybe better solution to this. And perhaps someone could explain why the PC doesnt just crash/blue screen. If you have any questions to me just ask.

Note: I set the power limit to "-35%" (in AMD Radeon software) seems to postpone the black screen thing to about 3/4 minutes in stress test, and when last night i played COD BO3 this just happend a few times, mainly in the menu because for some reason when i am in the menu of COD BO3 my card gets to 100%. I dont know why that happens, i dont remember if that was happening on my old card, i could test it.

1111eugene

Commendable
Feb 19, 2019
disable the cpu overclock
I think there's only 2 problems might be
  • gpu driver conflict
  • power supply is lacking power
I think just for the best testing, reinstalling a windows is not a bad idea, with clean installation, with formating the system drive
to delete 100% all the drivers trash the might be in OS
also try updating motherboard bios

if nothiign of that helps.... then at least go to driver settings and turn on forced vertical sync in general settings for every application
without it the frames can go up to thousands or at least hundreds thus creating a big impact on gpu, but with a vertical sync turned on it will be limited to 60
but still it's not a healthy thing that the gpu or the driver is restarting
also go to bios and place the pci-e card in the firts place in the gpu list or whatver it is called and disable all the others
turn off sli mode in gpu driver settings if there is one
disable the multi-monitor there also
also disable any auto-setting if it has some

CreepyNinja

Reputable
Jan 15, 2017
disable the cpu overclock
I think there's only 2 problems might be
  • gpu driver conflict
  • power supply is lacking power
I think just for the best testing, reinstalling a windows is not a bad idea, with clean installation, with formating the system drive
to delete 100% all the drivers trash the might be in OS
also try updating motherboard bios

if nothiign of that helps.... then at least go to driver settings and turn on forced vertical sync in general settings for every application
without it the frames can go up to thousands or at least hundreds thus creating a big impact on gpu, but with a vertical sync turned on it will be limited to 60
but still it's not a healthy thing that the gpu or the driver is restarting
also go to bios and place the pci-e card in the firts place in the gpu list or whatver it is called and disable all the others
turn off sli mode in gpu driver settings if there is one
disable the multi-monitor there also
also disable any auto-setting if it has some
I would rather not disable the overclock because when i do that, the cpu begins to bottleneck hard. I think that also for some reason that v-sync doesnt matter because when i play COD BO3 for example, and am in a game/match i have v-sync disabled, and i get around 120-180fps, and i dont get that thing, when i stay in the menu for like 3/4 minutes, the glitch happens. In my bios i dont have anything like a gpu list (because i only run 1 gpu at a time, i dont have integrated gfx.) My gpu doesnt have sli support (since its from radeon) it has crossfire tough, but i havent see any options for this either. Multi monitor is disabled (in AMD Radeon software). I cant really think of a auto setting, i know what you mean, but i dont think i have any at all. Only thing i could do right now is formatting, i could do it right now, since i havent done that in aprox. 1/2 years, but i am waiting for my cpu upgrade. I will either go for the Ryzen 2700x with a MSI z370 carbon ac, or wait for the new zen2 cpus, then i will format. But thanks for the relativelly quick response. I guess that i will wait for that PSU then i will make a update.

TRENDING THREADS