Question Sudden decrease in performance, long shutdown times and audio glitches

Feb 14, 2024
I have started having this issue after I've had an issue with my ram sticks where it was causing me to have random BSODs from time to time. After this happened I realised the nearly halved FPS in all games and just a massive performance hit on my PC overall. In games, even when my gpu ram and cpu usages are under %50 I always get so much less FPS than the fps cap I set. For example, if I set the fps cap to 144 (my refresh rate) I only get ~100 fps, if I set it to 200 I only get ~160 fps and meanwhile if I uncap the fps, I can get up to 300 fps (still lower than the usual performance I used to get).

Doing anything in my PC just feels slower, for example when creating or deleting any file takes a second or so longer than usual as if there was a processing delay and this is pretty much the same for any action. Opening file explorer and task manager is much slower (takes 15 seconds with my specs). The PC takes twice as long to shut down (boot is not affected) and I get audio glitches where the audio frequently gets distorted for a few seconds before going back to normal for another few seconds. I Also, sometimes get freezes for a second or two.

I have actually realised this issue doesn't exist when I safe boot windows which led me to think it was a driver error but I could not solve the issue even after trying every fix I could find related to drivers. Any help/advice would be greately appreciated.

Windows 10 Pro
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5600X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3060ti
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus
Ram: (16x4) 64gb DDR4 3200MHz (Though I get ram overclocking error during boot when I run them at 3200MHz so the rams are currently running at 3133MHz)
PSU: Corsair RM850 850W 80 plus gold

Troubleshooting I tried:
- Replacing the CPU, GPU, motherboard and ram
- Running Windows Driver Verifier
- Updating every single driver I could find on the PC + updating the BIOS
- Running DDU to remove GPU drivers
- Safe booting Windows (which fixed the issue?? but only in safe boot)- Changing up the ram slots used on the motherboard- Doing sfc /scannow on CMD

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Replacing the CPU, GPU, motherboard and ram
Replacing with the same parts or with a different make and model motherboard and ram?

Ram: (16x4) 64gb DDR4 3200MHz (Though I get ram overclocking error during boot when I run them at 3200MHz so the rams are currently running at 3133MHz)
Can you elaborate on this? What sticks of ram are you working with? Got a link to them?

BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

Running DDU to remove GPU drivers
Did you use DDU to remove all drivers(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) manually from your system?

I'd suggest recreating your bootable USB installer for your OS and installing it in an offline mode. Once installed, manually install all relevant drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Feb 14, 2024
Replacing with the same parts or with a different make and model motherboard and ram
It was a different model for all of the parts mentioned.

Can you elaborate on this? What sticks of ram are you working with? Got a link to them?
I currently own this and this
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?
7C56v1G at the moment and the issue still persists

Did you use DDU to remove all drivers(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) manually from your system?
I only ever used an Nvidia GPU so it was only Nvidia drivers I removed (my processor doesn't have iGPU)

I'd suggest recreating your bootable USB installer for your OS and installing it in an offline mode. Once installed, manually install all relevant drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.
I'll clean install windows as a last resort since there are a lot of files I don't want to lose and the last time I did this there was an accident and all of my files got deleted thanks to the clean install.