First things first, specs for my PC are:
-EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
-i7-6700K OC 4.3 Ghz
-MSI Gaming Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM
-EVGA G2 SuperNOVA 750W
-32GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum
-Acer 144hz 1440p Main display
-2 Dell 1080p 60hz displays

So here's my issue at hand. I've had this PC build since the 1080 Ti was released, so roughly two years. Everything has been wonderful, no issues with clock speeds, temps, or anything in that nature. I got off work yesterday and went to launch good old Call of Duty with the guys in Discord. Before I clicked launch, I noticed my temps were a higher than normal for being idle. I was sitting at 51C. I thought this was a little strange (I usually sit around 37C idle), so I launched my game and INSTANTLY went to 83C. I mean without skipping a beat, on the menu of Call of Duty. Now I first thought this was a faulty sensor (and I'm still partially leaning towards that). I opened FOUR different monitoring softwares. XOC, CAM, HWMonitor, and Afterburner. All of them were reporting the same temps (which again, could be a faulty sensors), same fan speeds, same everything.

Here's another strange thing. My load usage was only between 17% (main menu) and 45% in-game. That low of a load usage but I'm outputting over 83C? Just doesn't sound right to me.

EDIT 1: I would like to include that the CPU temps are fine and aren't overheating at all, it is also liquid cooled. All fans are working, and the airflow in the case has 2 pulling into the radiator, and two blowing out of the top/back. I've never had an issue with airflow in my case before (NZXT S340 Elite).

I did quite a few different things to try and fix these temps.
  • Deleted GeForce Experience (advice found on the EVGA forums)
  • Disabled Shadowplay before deleting GeForce
  • Made a very aggressive fan curve (I didn't enjoy this because my office now had a leafblower in it, this did not fix the temp issues either).
  • Made sure K-Boost was disabled.
  • Changed the power adaptive settings for my monitors.
  • DDU'd all drivers off my PC, reinstalled new and old drivers (thought maybe it was a driver issue)
  • Out of desperation, I wiped all SSDs, M.2's, and HDD. Reinstalled windows, and the issue still persists.
  • There's a number of other things I've done, just can't remember them to list them ATM.
Does anyone have ANY possible solutions or advice?

I absolutely WILL NOT void the warranty and reapply thermal paste.
I would like to avoid RMA as much as possible. I need this because I do work from home often after hours. Using EVGA's collateral option isn't really possible (the MSRP price is too high to afford currently).

Last edited:
Well based on your post I’d RMA. If it was me personally I’d get a NZXT G12 bracket and water cool that bad boy. I have a 1080ti and did this myself just because. I paired mine with NZXT X62 AIO and overclocked over 2000mhz I game at 35c with a 70F room temperature. I was only at 55C before but this thing runs so cool now.

Bmacker

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
Well based on your post I’d RMA. If it was me personally I’d get a NZXT G12 bracket and water cool that bad boy. I have a 1080ti and did this myself just because. I paired mine with NZXT X62 AIO and overclocked over 2000mhz I game at 35c with a 70F room temperature. I was only at 55C before but this thing runs so cool now.
Currently at this very moment I have 0 games downloaded and I'm sitting at my desktop.
54C
14% load
Clock 1442MHz
Fans are at 283RPM (roughly 55% speed)

All completely IDLE.