SparkyTech934

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
Hi All,

I'm currently running Windows Server 2019 Standard Edition on an HP Z640 Workstation. I also utilize Hyper-V and run VMs within the host. Up until this point I have been using the included Windows Server Backup program as part of the standard windows features. While it works fine for the most part, I am frustrated with the inability to back up volumes over 16TB, as I get an error saying that it's not supported. I also would like the flexibility of a complete backup solution that allows me to boot using a recovery USB and restore in place.

I'm looking for some suggestions from the community as to what has worked for others when choosing a backup solution. I'd prefer to use a free backup software, but if there are some that are priced well and offer great features, I would consider paid options as well. At the moment I am considering using Veeam Agent for Windows as the backup solution.

I'll post additional details below about the server in case it will affect suggestions. I'd love to hear some ideas, and as always, I appreciate your time!

Server:
Base Model - HP Z640 Workstation
OS - Windows Server 2019 Standard
CPU(s) - Dual Xeon E5-2620v3
RAM - 64GB DDR4 ECC
Storage:
Boot Drive - 512GB SATA III SSD
High-Capacity Storage - 27.6TB RAID 10 Array (4 x WD Red Pro 16TB HDDs)

Solution
Under "Ideas and Suggestions" - consider using Powershell.

Powershell is free. You can customize as necessary.

Google "Powershell backup scripts" as a start. Then revise the search criteria as necessary for your backup requirements.

SparkyTech934

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
@Ralston18 Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely look into backup scripts using Powershell. That may be a good way to automate backing up the large storage volume that I have on the server.

Do you have any recommendations for a complete backup solution/program? I'm still learning towards Veeam Agent for Windows. I've 'piloted' it on my desktop machine and it seems to work nicely so far. Thanks again for your help!

SparkyTech934

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
Thanks all for the responses, I appreciate it very much! I have Veeam installed on the server now and am backing up to a TrueNas machine that I set up. I'll look into the possibility of PowerShell to further automate if necessary.

Ralston18

Titan
Your post is a "Question" and the green bar should be present.

And in that green bar there is a circle around a checkmark to select the post that the poster deems a solution.

Not really flagged as a Best Answer anymore - just as a "Solution".

Could be some interim system/website glitch.

Appreciate your thoughtfulness. Thanks.