mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I need some new ideas on my current OCing project. Im using a P4 550(3.4Ghz) on an ASUS P5AD2-E-Premium with DDR2 667 RAM. Im trying to break 5.0 Ghz and have hit a wall at 4.5 Ghz. Im not really sure whats holding me back at this point so I thought that some new insight may help. 4.5 may be this CPU's limit, but I think its capable of 5. Any ideas?

<font color=red>Now that I have given up hope, I feel alot better</font color=red>

G

Can we have mre ifnormation?
At what ratio are you running your memory/cpu fsb
are you using a Pci Ex vid card?
What kind of cooling are you using?

heres one way to do it:
<A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20031230/index.html" target="_new">http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20031230/index.html</A>

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, Leadtek FX5900 w/ FX5950U bios@500/1000, 2X30gig Raid0

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Im buildng a R22 system as we speak. Its not liquid nitrogen, but it will cool alot better than liquid.

This is a PCIexpress X800XL with DDR2 PC5300 RAM. Ive got a very good liquid cooling setup. The kind of info that I am in need of is most likely going to be more advanced than just RAM timmings or dividers.

The cooling is well under control so thats not a road block either. My RAM ratio is 3:4 nothing else is going to allow me to keep climbing. My multiplier is unlocked and dropped from 17 to 14. Dont have the exact numbers, but they are going to be in the range of DDR2-780 :eek: hell for all I know I could be running DDR2-800.

Im over 50% OCd on the FSB and the RAM scores in SiSandra are off the chart. I was scoring in the low 9000MB/s every time but am on past that now. I should probably leave well enough alone because its one thing to get one to go through the motions at a high OC and its a completely different story to get it running stable at really high speeds. Im solid as a rock at 4.3Ghz and close to declaring the same at 4.5Ghz. Just need a few more stress test to complete.

<font color=red>Now that I have given up hope, I feel alot better</font color=red>

G

Wow, that's pretty impressive their mozz.

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>
<pre> Always remember to keep testicles away from live wiring </pre><p>

Holy CRAP! Nice OC!

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Do the new 775 chips come with downwards-unlocked multipliers then? I didn't realise you could ever get unlocked P4s, except engineering samples.

Aside from that.... more Vcore is the only thing I can think of, since you seem to suggest that dropping the Multiplier makes it stable, so it's not a motherboard/RAM/FSB type problem. Of course more Vcore=more heat, but by the sounds of things heat is well under control. Have you reached the limit of the Vcore adjustment on your mobo or something?

I'm not <i>that</i> experienced at ocing on P4 systems (none at all on 775 actually), but I have done a little here and there, and some things are the same for all chips, and pumping more juice through is of course one of those :evil:

---
A64 3200+ Winchester @ 250x10= ~2.5Ghz, ~1.41 Vcore
1Gb @ 209Mhz, 2T, 3-5-5-10
Voltmodded (1.99V) Sapphire 9800Pro @ 460/350 w/ modded VGA silencer 3.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Yes and No. Only the $1000.00 EE is truely unlocked, however Abit and ASUS figured out a way around it. My multiplier is 17 at stock settings, my Mobo has a BIOS setting that will adjust it to 14. I think that the EE will go as low as 12. Oh, and its either 17 or 14 no adjustments in between. Voltage could be it, but from what I have read from the few that have gotten to 5gz voltage over 1.6 is a waste of time. The memory is the last on my suspect list. It could be my Northbridge, but thats up in the air as of now. Definetly not the PSU, I have a 600W Thermaltake and its solid as a rock. There are newer features in the BIOS that are related to the PCIexpress video cards that I am still learning about. SO far its been trial and error, I just cant seem to find anything that has been written about these settings. Thats my top suspect at this point, but I havent ruled out voltage and still have more than enough room with that setting. If you do run across a review or article that goes into detail about the new settings that come with PCIexpress please let me know.

Thanks

<b>Ned Flanders said that im a BAD ASS</b> :lol:

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Im thinking very seriously about using liquid nitrogen. Im going to do some research over the next few days, so if any of you have had any experience cooling with it or know of some good sources please let me know.

Thanks

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Im using 3:4 for the RAM and 14 for the multiplier. Not only do I get much higher OC's, but my benchmarks as well as programs like Folding are much faster than 1:1 and/or 17.

Thanks for the link, I will check it out. BTW, im currently running my first RAID configuration. It wasnt nearly as hard to setup as I thought.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
:lol:

If Ned says it then its got to be true :tongue: Ned thinks that im wound to tight! The first person that replied to my very first question here was old Neddy POO! He flamed the HELL out of me :lol:

Nothing like the smell of napalm in the morning! :lol: