Question Surface Book 2 Gaming Performance Dies After Few Minutes

ATCraiger

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014
I've got the Surface Book 2 13.5" Model with GeForce 1050. I'm trying to play FF14 on it, and when it first loads up the game runs great at mediumish settings, getting 60fps most of the time. After about 2 minutes it just craps out, going to 15fps and even moving to the lowest settings changes nothing.
I've gone into the Nvidia control panel and set both that game and global settings to use the 1050 and not built in graphics. I've set physx to run from the 1050 as well. I have the most recent drivers, and even the GeForce experience software which I used to "optimise" my game. I've even right clicked and run the game using the 1050 card, but nothing works. I am plugged in and have a custom power plan for performance set.
I don't think it should matter, but I am running the game off an external drive and with a second monitor connected at 1920x1080.
My next step is to install the game locally and only run it from my laptop, but it just seems like a software issue because the game runs great for a few minutes and then decides to just crap out, even though the computer isn't overheating or anything.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
the computer isn't overheating or anything.

I am not monitoring temps, although the fans do turn onto high and it gets a little warm.
Will the hardware overrule my software settings if it gets too hot?

Not sure what you mean here? If the hardware is overheating, you cannot tell it via software to ignore that. There are protections baked in that the CPU/GPU etc will throttle to protect the hardware.

I would suggest running something like HWMonitor etc and see what kind of temperatures you're seeing at the time performance drops off.