[SOLVED] Suspected Bad Power Supply

PerplexedMatt

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
Howdy,

I have an old build that I haven't used in a couple years. When I tried to turn it on today the mobo screen popped op with weird symbols that kind of looked like encryption. Then it black screened. No ASRock logo, no POST, nothing. Just a black screen. Already did troubleshooting on MOBO, same issue on different board. Anyone have a problem like this before?

Solution
PSU: Coolmax ZX600 600W
Coolmax doesnt make anything of decent quality to my knowledge. A cheap PSU like this one can fail without warning, especially with age and under the stress of dedicated graphics (even if they have the power of a potato). I would point to this as the issue. Do you have a multimeter to check anything?
I was on a tighter budget in those days.
A PSU is the last thing you want to cheap out on.

PerplexedMatt

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
Please post your entire system spec including PSU make and model my friend.

It's an oldy,

CPU: FX 6300
MOBO: ASRock 970 Pro 3/ Gigabyte GA970 (tested for troubleshooting)
RAM: (2) Avexir 4GB
Case: Fractal Design Define S
Hard Drives: Whatever was laying around at the time
GPU: Not really sure, definitely an old GTS card, probably GDDR2

Not too familiar with CoolMax PSU's. I was on a tighter budget in those days.

Coolmax doesnt make anything of decent quality to my knowledge. A cheap PSU like this one can fail without warning, especially with age and under the stress of dedicated graphics (even if they have the power of a potato). I would point to this as the issue. Do you have a multimeter to check anything?
I was on a tighter budget in those days.

Last edited:
Solution

PerplexedMatt

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
Coolmax doesnt make anything of decent quality to my knowledge. A cheap PSU like this one can fail without warning, especially with age even if you have a lower power GPU. I would point to this as the issue. Do you have a multimeter to check anything?

Sounds logical, I don't have a multimeter, but I do have an irrational fear of touching live wires. I'm thinking I'll just throw in a new Thermaltake PSU and see if that fixes it.

On a less relates note, how do you feel about Rosewill PSU's?

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
but I do have an irrational fear of touching live wires.
You would be probing the output. You wouldn't need to touch anything with more than 12v going through it.

I'm thinking I'll just throw in a new Thermaltake PSU and see if that fixes it. On a less relates note, how do you feel about Rosewill PSU's?
Both brands have good and bad models.

I'd suggest going for a PSU like this: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...jRPpU75xyJWrQwUx0Mo38zUklV6F2ZRXDUX40&irgwc=1

Reactions: PerplexedMatt

TRENDING THREADS