[SOLVED] Swapped cases, now system won't boot... Even after breadboarding

Dec 17, 2019
Hi guys, so here's an odd one for you all.

Until recently my PC case had been a massive biege tower. Although I loved it, it had little air circulation going (I still monitored my temps to make sure it never got too hot).
So come Black Friday, I bought a new Bitfenix Shadow case.

So, as you have probably guessed, once I moved all my components over; the PC would not BOOT at all. No display, no fans, no noise, no lights; nothing.

At this point I realised a stupid mistake I made, the i/o shield was not properly secured so I hadn't screwed all the holes down in the motherboard (I had just wanted to test it at the time, but there were 3 screws in already). So I went back, re-adjusted the i/o shield, and screwed down all the required screws into their stand-offs. Now the motherboard shows the Amber standby light when the power switch is turned on (yay); but there's been little to no progression since then.

Currently the motherboard is on my desk with only the CPU (with fan & heatsink attached), RAM, required PSU cables, front panel connections and my DVI cable attached.

I would mention what I have done to diagnose it, in addition to following the sticky (https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/), but right now the PC shows no sign of life when it's breadboarded on my desk; nevertheless in the new case as well.

I had tried jumping the power switch, but that led to little avail. I have also tried booting with no RAM, resetting CMOS, without front panel connectors and even a new kettle lead, but same result; nothing but the ASUS's Amber light...

My respective specs are:-
  • Bitfenix Shadow CASE
  • ASUS Prime B350M-A motherboard
  • AMD Ryzen 5 1600 CPU
  • Corsair CX 750 PSU

I should also mentioned the entire PC had been working fine for over year in the previous case.

Thank you for reading 😁

Tl;dr: PC worked perfectly, swapped into new case, now won't work at all; even when breadboarded.

Last edited:
Solution
Kind of hard to pin down what the issue is with so many variables,

my first thought would be the board possibly shorted from improper grounding, but you would need to either test your PSU in another system or use another PSU to test your system to be sure the power supply isn't interfering.

If the PSU works fine in another system or a working PSU doesn't work in yours might need to look at just replacing the MB (given its an older Ryzen model replacing it shouldn't be too painful), or at the least double & triple checking all of your components to make sure they're seated and plugged adequately. You can always be sure you've done everything right but you might have missed some things.

My very amateur suggestions:
  1. Meticulously...
Dec 17, 2019
your cpu don't have igpu. need a gpu to post

full system spec? include make and model of the psu

Good point, I'll give it a go now with the GPU connected.

Sorry for not mentioning it, I'll edit it now. But my PSU is a Corsair CX750 and had been working perfectly previously.

Thank you for the interest 😁👍

Dec 17, 2019
Good point, I'll give it a go now with the GPU connected.

Sorry for not mentioning it, I'll edit it now. But my PSU is a Corsair CX750 and had been working perfectly previously.

Thank you for the interest 😁👍

Unsurprisingly, with the GPU correctly plugged in with the DVI cable connected, there's still no movement at all once the power button is pushed. Not even the fans move...

Dec 17, 2019
Still not sure what it could be...

Nothing had changed from when it was in my old PC case, but now it doesn't work at all full stop.

No idea how this could've been caused when all required cables are placed correctly...

throwawayaccnt

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016

my first thought would be the board possibly shorted from improper grounding, but you would need to either test your PSU in another system or use another PSU to test your system to be sure the power supply isn't interfering.

If the PSU works fine in another system or a working PSU doesn't work in yours might need to look at just replacing the MB (given its an older Ryzen model replacing it shouldn't be too painful), or at the least double & triple checking all of your components to make sure they're seated and plugged adequately. You can always be sure you've done everything right but you might have missed some things.

1. Meticulously unplug and replug all of your components
  2. Try a different outlet (dumb s#!t works sometimes)
  3. Try a PSU swap
  4. Test other vital components if possible (GPU, RAM, CPU, etc)
  5. Look at possibly replacing your board

Reactions: JHazell55
Solution
Dec 17, 2019

1. Meticulously unplug and replug all of your components
  2. Try a different outlet (dumb s#!t works sometimes)
  3. Try a PSU swap
  4. Test other vital components if possible (GPU, RAM, CPU, etc)
  5. Look at possibly replacing your board
Thank you for your response 😁

Yeah, I was thinking about whether it is the PSU or MB as well...

At some point soon, I'll give everything a test for their electrics and try to find the problem.

I'll update this thread once it's found for future readers 👍