[SOLVED] Switching from a Gaming Headset to an XLR Mic and Headphones, advice requested :)

Sep 6, 2020
As the title says I would like to move from using just a gaming headset (Corsair Void Pro Wireless) over to a "proper" setup, I have chosen what I think would be sufficient however as I have not done this before I wouldn't mind a couple of other people taking a look just to make sure I haven't missed anything obvious:

Headphones

- Sennheiser HD 599 (Open Back)

Microphone

- Rode NT1-A Vocal Pack
or
- Rode NT1 Pack (with integrated Antipop)

Interface

- Rode AI-1 USB Audio Interface

Stand Arm

- Rode PSA1 Swivel Mount Studio Microphone Boom Arm

Im just going off of recommendations from friends so feel free to point me in another direction if there are issues.

Thanks in advance,

Grimm

Solution
As the title says I would like to move from using just a gaming headset (Corsair Void Pro Wireless) over to a "proper" setup, I have chosen what I think would be sufficient however as I have not done this before I wouldn't mind a couple of other people taking a look just to make sure I haven't missed anything obvious:

Headphones

Microphone

- Rode NT1-A Vocal Pack
or

Interface

Stand Arm

Im just going off of recommendations from friends so feel free to point me in another direction if there are issues.

Thanks in advance,

Grimm

Unless you are a pro streamer or...

Headphones

Microphone

- Rode NT1-A Vocal Pack
or

Interface

Stand Arm

Thanks in advance,

Grimm

Unless you are a pro streamer or YouTuber you are way overkill in the mic department. XLR is a "pro" interface but it's main benefit in studios is the ability to have long cable runs with low interference. For sitting at your desk, it does nothing that a good USB or 3.5mm mic can't do.

A $100 or even less mic will do you as well, unless you are actually going to be using the setup for a professional setup where you are making content for thousands, not just for you and 4 of your friends.

Although very mainstream, the Blue mics are well made with good sound and are not unreasonably priced for the quality https://ehomerecordingstudio.com/best-blue-microphones/

For your personal enjoyment you would be better off with a nice headphone/amp/dac and a good but much cheaper mic setup. Put the money towards a better video card/monitor/keyboard or something if not the headphones. You picked good products but are climbing the ladder a bit too much for the price/performance trade-off and to what is actually good to use.

Solution