[SOLVED] Switching from HDD to SSD. Macrium Reflect gives me "Error 9" "23 - Data error (cyclic redundancy check)"

Jave10

Commendable
Apr 15, 2020
I just decided that I should use my SSD as my home drive after I got a new 2tb data HDD. However, when I try to clone, I get "Clone failed - Error 9 - Read Failed - 23 - Data error (cyclic redundancy check)". Also, whenever it gives me the error, I get a windows 10 notification saying that the drive needs to be formatted. All responses are greatly appreciated.

Jave10

Commendable
Apr 15, 2020
The Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) error occurs due to hard drive corruption, misconfigured files, registry file corruption, cluttered disk, unsuccessful program installation, or when there’s a bad spot on the storage media. To fix the Cyclic Redundancy Check error:

1. Run CHKDSK Utility Scan
  2. Run SFC Scan
Hope it will help!
Damn. I hoped it wasn't this, but I guess so. It is a pretty old hard drive, and it's probably had its fair share of questionable files. Thanks for your response, I really appreciate it!

Jave10

Commendable
Apr 15, 2020
The Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) error occurs due to hard drive corruption, misconfigured files, registry file corruption, cluttered disk, unsuccessful program installation, or when there’s a bad spot on the storage media. To fix the Cyclic Redundancy Check error:

1. Run CHKDSK Utility Scan
  2. Run SFC Scan
Hope it will help!
So I ran CHKDSK on both of the drives, and they were both healthy. What should I do now?

Jave10

Commendable
Apr 15, 2020
Please list model names of all your drives.

What did you try to clone and to where?

Disk 0 - 250GB - is this your original SSD?
Disk 1 - 500GB - looks like some borked clone.
Disk 2 - 500GB - Destiny Balls D: . You said that's your SSD. Are you sure?
Disk 3 - new 2TB HDD. Right?
I'm sorry, the SSD is disk 1. I gave you the wrong letter. Disk 2 is data, disk 3 is new, disk 0 is my home HDD. Disk one could be a borked clone, as I remember attempting to clone a while back but I think I got the same error. However, I was still able to boot from it.

Can you show screenshot from Hdtune health for Disk 0 and Disk 1 ?
If health of those drives is fine then..

1. Clean Disk 1. Use Diskpart clean method.
  2. Redo cloning from Disk 0 to Disk 1.
  3. Shutdown, disconnect 250GB disk, check boot priority in BIOS, set 500GB drive as first in boot priority.
  4. Boot into windows.
  5. If everything goes good, shutdown, reconnect 250GB disk, check boot priority, boot into windows, clean 250GB disk, repartition,reformat and repurpose.

delete-clean-partition-diskpart-windows10.jpg

Jave10

Commendable
Apr 15, 2020
Can you show screenshot from Hdtune health for Disk 0 and Disk 1 ?
If health of those drives is fine then..

1. Clean Disk 1. Use Diskpart clean method.
  2. Redo cloning from Disk 0 to Disk 1.
  3. Shutdown, disconnect 250GB disk, check boot priority in BIOS, set 500GB drive as first in boot priority.
  4. Boot into windows.
  5. If everything goes good, shutdown, reconnect 250GB disk, check boot priority, boot into windows, clean 250GB disk, repartition,reformat and repurpose.
delete-clean-partition-diskpart-windows10.jpg
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/vO085kw

After I ran diskpart, I still got error 9. As you can see in the screenshots (unless there's another thing you wanted me to do in HDtune) the drives are healthy. Should I still carry on booting from the new SSD even though I still got the error?

Jave10

Commendable
Apr 15, 2020
Drives seem healthy.
But because of CRC error - cloning process can not work properly.
run:
chkdsk c: /f
chkdsk f: /f
This will require reboot.
Still not working. I did this, restarted, and tried to clone but still got error 9. I'm attaching an image of the clone summary in case that will help. The issue always seems to occur when cloning the third partition. Could it be because it has no name?

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/asNwFex

Jave10

Commendable
Apr 15, 2020
I still got error 9. I guess the drive is damaged. Is there any way I can store the data from my old drive, reinstall windows on my new drive, and than copy the old drives data over? I'm not sure if I can just copy the files over from my C drive, so that's why I'm asking.