Question Switching RAM speeds from 3200 to 3600 is causing problems (BSOD).

Aug 17, 2020
Hi all need some help but first to list my specs:

i5-9600k - currently running at base clock 3.7
MSI Z390 gaming edge AC
Ripjaws V 3200 CL16, 2x8gb running at 3200
to
Trident Z 3600 CL18 2x8gb

I'm switching to Trident Z 3600 CL18 2x8 gb but it appears won't run it. It gives me errors (BSOD) and or makes my CPU run at 30% while idling. I have ran mem86+ when I first encountered the problem and saw about 121 errors on the trident Z. Then I switched back to my ripjaws V (to verify it was due to hardware) it passed all of the tests. So I ended up getting a replacement thinking it would solve the issue but when I put them in and ran mem86 it once again started giving me errors (currently has 3 errors as I'm running the test while writing this thread) which brings to believe it might be to settings/drivers.

Current errors:
test 7 - CPU4
test 9 - CPU3
test9 - CPU3

Any thoughts? I know my way around the bios at what I would call the basic level and I just can't seem to find the issue.

Edit: I wanted to also add that I even did a clean install of my Windows OS after the I ran the first memtest86 on trident z since I wanted to make sure it wasn't current drivers that were causing the issue. Also I just saw that possible bios update could help narrow it down which I will do once the current test is done. Currently at 26 errors (which is better than the 121 from yesterday)

Last edited:
Hi all need some help but first to list my specs:

i5-9600k - currently running at base clock 3.7
MSI Z390 gaming edge AC
Ripjaws V 3200 CL16, 2x8gb running at 3200
to
Trident Z 3600 CL18 2x8gb

I'm switching to Trident Z 3600 CL18 2x8 gb but it appears won't run it. It gives me errors (BSOD) and or makes my CPU run at 30% while idling. I have ran mem86+ when I first encountered the problem and saw about 121 errors on the trident Z. Then I switched back to my ripjaws V (to verify it was due to hardware) it passed all of the tests. So I ended up getting a replacement thinking it would solve the issue but when I put them in and ran mem86 it once again started giving me errors (currently has 3 errors as I'm running the test while writing this thread) which brings to believe it might be to settings/drivers.

Current errors:
test 7 - CPU4
test 9 - CPU3
test9 - CPU3

Any thoughts? I know my way around the bios at what I would call the basic level and I just can't seem to find the issue.

Edit: I wanted to also add that I even did a clean install of my Windows OS after the I ran the first memtest86 on trident z since I wanted to make sure it wasn't current drivers that were causing the issue. Also I just saw that possible bios update could help narrow it down which I will do once the current test is done. Currently at 26 errors (which is better than the 121 from yesterday)
Is XMP enabled in Bios or not ?

Aug 17, 2020
Is XMP enabled in Bios or not ?
So I'm still a bit confused about XMP. Am I supposed to enable it and have it automatically ramp up the speed to 3600??
to add a bit more Info of what I mean with that, I assumed I could just ramp up the numbers manually in the bios as I did that for my 3200 ram when it was at default for 2133 which I changed it to 3200 without having to enable xmp and it ran perfectly fine.
but anyway instead of doing manually I just hit xmp this time which boosts it to 3600 @ 1.35v (which is what it is rated for) after completing Memtest86 (which gave me about 41 errors) and after updating bios. I'll test again and see if that fixed the problem!

Thanks!

Update:
So still getting errors per Memtest86, In test 7 and test 9 only. I'm not sure what to do, is it possible that I got 2 sets of bad RAM? I know my CPU and motherboard are fine since if I switch back to my 3200 I don't get any errors in Memtest86.

But also currently no BSOD at the moment while using windows. I'm going to try and play a game and see if anything changes.

Also I'll try resetting bios incase one of the settings was changed by accident and I didn't realize it.

Last edited: