[SOLVED] sync compressing a back up video's ?

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
Hi

Can it be dun ? I hate waiting for hole new back up's. Most of my storage space is video's. Can video's be compressed without damaging the original file's ? Can 3T bites of assorted video file formats be compressed to 1.5T bites or more like 2T bites ?

Solution
ok so thear isnt any way for me to save space without re-coding the videos. OK. What about RAR ?

Also the problem I have is my nas is render unusabul during backing up.
RAR, zip...no difference.
As said...Try one. You'll find little if any file size reduction.

Whatever is going on with your NAS box is a whole other thing, and we can investigate if you want.

USAFRet

Titan
You cannot "compress" without losing information.
3TB compressed to 1.5TB is tossing out 1.5TB of data. This may or may not be visibly noticeable, but it happens that way.

Please describe your actual backup routine. You may be doing too much or too often.

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
You cannot "compress" without losing information.
3TB compressed to 1.5TB is tossing out 1.5TB of data. This may or may not be visibly noticeable, but it happens that way.

Please describe your actual backup routine. You may be doing too much or too often.
Can I zip them or somthing ? Than just unzip them to get all the origanal data back ?

USAFRet

Titan
ok so thear isnt any way for me to save space without re-coding the videos. OK. What about RAR ?

Also the problem I have is my nas is render unusabul during backing up.
RAR, zip...no difference.
As said...Try one. You'll find little if any file size reduction.

Whatever is going on with your NAS box is a whole other thing, and we can investigate if you want.

Solution

popatim

Titan
Again, they are already compressed and usually quite good for the quality you would "see". You can compress further but lose data even though over-all resolution hasn't changed.
This is why 720 content on some video share sites look like crap: too much compression.

Would back up images save me space ?

Are you talking about using backup utilities that compress the backups? It may save space overall, but compressing already compressed images won't work very efficiently nor save time to do backups. From your original post you wanted to make the backups faster. Get faster drives, or just start the backup at night so you are not starring at the computer doing the backup.

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
Are you talking about using backup utilities that compress the backups? It may save space overall, but compressing already compressed images won't work very efficiently nor save time to do backups. From your original post you wanted to make the backups faster. Get faster drives, or just start the backup at night so you are not starring at the computer doing the backup.
Times not an issue for me right now. Its more like I cant afford a new hdd at this time. But I just realized a backup utilities that compress the backups to a imge wuld not work. I have 4 hdd combinded that make one partition. And some of them are insainly old and in bad shape.

Times not an issue for me right now. Its more like I cant afford a new hdd at this time. But I just realized a backup utilities that compress the backups to a imge wuld not work. I have 4 hdd combinded that make one partition. And some of them are insainly old and in bad shape.

Well your first post said " I hate waiting for hole new back up's " Aside from the fact that hole and "whole" are different words, that sounds like you wanted to get faster backups so you don't have to wait as long.

So what were you trying to do, get more backup space? Drives that are old and in "bad shape" is not what I would be using for backups. What would be the point of doing a backup to poor quality drives, the point of a backup is to be able to recover from data loss, if you put the backup on unreliable drives, that is useless as a backup.